Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here follow Nourishing Traditions?

Originally Posted by ChoiceSoaps View Post
I shred Napa cabbage (maybe 2 lbs), 2-3 carrots, an onion, 2-3 cloves garlic, and maybe 4ish T ginger and mix together. I sometimes add some radishes, hot pepper seeds, or a hot pepper, but I don't like too much heat. For traditional kimchi, you would probably want to add more pepper. Make a brine of 2 c water and 2 T salt, soak veggies overnight, then drain and reserve the brine. Mash down the veggies and its own liquid should rise--use the reserved brine if you need more liquid to cover them. (If they are completely submerged, they can mold.) Leave them at room temp for about 3 days, then refrigerate. Mmmm! They start out extremely salty and get more tangy as the fermentation process goes on. The great thing is that you can adjust the recipe to your taste (I like tons of ginger and very little pepper.) If you try it, let me know how it goes.

Melissa, what's the approximate salt/carrot/ginger ratio you use? I tried ginger carrots a few months ago. I think I used 1-2 teaspoons salt for a quart of shredded carrots (don't have any idea how much ginger I put in). After 2 days, the liquid was thick and syrupy which I thought could be a very bad sign. The veggies were completely covered by water. Did I need more salt? I really want to make some yummy ginger carrots!

Shoot, I don't know my exact measurements....I did use the quart jars though. I just shredded it all and add a sprinkle of salt for every scoop I added to the jar. I used a whole root of ginger...probably about 5-6 inches long and that went for two quart jars of carrots.

Does this help at all? LOL!

MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: Anyone here follow Nourishing Traditions?

Melissa, you are inspiring me to try the ginger carrots again. I'm heading to the store tomorrow so I'm adding carrots and ginger to my grocery list!

Nikki, I'm so curious whether your kimchi turned out. Care to update us?

Serina, when you make water kefir, do you mix it with fruit juice? What's your favorite way to drink it? I "brew" it with lemons and figs but really enjoy adding it to grape juice. I'd like some new ideas too.
Mom to James 3/27/05, Samuel 3/26/08
Choice Soaps - 20% off unscented Guinness Stout soap in October 2010!
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote