Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Jaybaby
Registered Users
seller

Bad diaper rash...CD's, teething, or coincidence?

Hi Ladies!

Me and my 8 month LO are new to CD'ing. So far we love it except she has recently developed a horrible, raw and bleeding diaper rash. None of my children have ever had diaper rashes like this before. I'm wondering if it could be attributed to the use of cd's? I'm sure it's not detergent as I wash her diapers in the same detergent I wash her clothes in and have never had a problem. The only diapers we've used so far have been off the FSOT board and have been washed prior to using them.

One reason I don't think it's the diapers is because of the location of the rash. It's only in the crack of her bottom, not on her cheeks. And her little butt is so big and cute you have to spread her cheeks apart to even see the rash . Does that make sense? So it's not even a place where the diapers are touching.

I do think she is pushing more teeth through, but she didn't have any rash last month when the first two teeth came in.

Any advice with this would be of tremendous help. I feel so bad for her. She just screams with every diaper change.

Also I switched her back to disposables temporarily because we have to keep loads of cream on her bottom.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
hampyfew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad diaper rash...CD's, teething, or coincidence?

It could be a lot of things. Even though you use the same detergent you use on her clothes, it could not mix well in sensitive areas, reaction with pee, etc. You could not be using enough or you could be using too much. Could something in her diet have changed recently (or yours if you are nursing)? Can you tell us more about your wash routine?

FWIW, my son gets a slight rash in the same exact spot when he is teething.
hampyfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, my little guy is teething too, and in cloth full time. He was pretty rashy, so I've been giving him frequent baths, and then putting some organic coconut oil on him as diaper cream (it's CD friendly as it just washes out in warm water). CO is anti-fungal, and has been working great for me! So sorry about the rash! no fun!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Jaybaby
Registered Users
seller

I usually rinse in cold, wash in hot with detergent but I have never done a second rinse though. Do you think the location rules out the diapers?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Jaybaby
Registered Users
seller

I'll have to try the coconut oil once we get this bleeding healed. Where do you find it?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
sandbox
Registered Users

I second the Coconut Oil. We bought ours on Amazon.

Sandbox Blog
sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think it is teething. try to help him air it out - go coverless for a bit or use sposies just for a day or so...not sure if that will help but we recently just got this sort of thing again and I think my LO is getting more teeth, too.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You should be able to find coconut oil at any natural food store. I ordered mine online from Tropical Traditions. They have good specials sometimes.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a 10mo who has cracked out 5 teeth in the last month, and she has been pretty rashy, so that is my bet! If it is just in the crack, then I think it's more related to what's coming out, than what is on her bottom
Co-owner of 'Mums & Bums' - coming soon!
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Saharan
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think teething too since it is just in the crack. If it was detergent or the cloth in general it would be wherever the diaper touches I would think? My son always gets rashy/ red when teething too and poops like a million times a day. I put some baking soda in his bath and use either coconut oil or another cd saf cream to create a barrier and change tons. I also let him run around bare bum but this is dangerous since he poops lots, good thing we have hardwood