Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what do i do if 9 month old DS weans?

My supply is awful. The last few days he has not hardly been wet, and he is nursing a lot. Every period that I have my supply takes another hit and now its barely going back after its over. At this point I don't really know what to do. He drinks excellent out of a straw cup. He doesn't really like formula. I thought about doing coconut milk or something at meals. He has got to pee more. I am not making enough for him. He LOVES food too. He is the first of my babies to love solids. So what do I do? My pedi told me that I could introduce cows milk at nine months, but I thought that was way early. He bit me today too. Do I try to get him to drink formula. I want to make it to a year, but at this point, its not looking feasible that I can supply all that nutrition when I barely make anything. It takes forever for my milk to even let down. Any suggestions? I have tried things to help me make more milk, but its simply a hormonal thing for me. I am tired of stressing about it. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Ambystoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what do i do if 9 month old DS weans?

At 9 months, I'd be uncomfortable moving to cow's milk or something else. I would try my best to get him to take at least some formula or maybe look for a local donor if you are comfortable with that. Eats on Feets on facebook comes to mind.

If you have any pumped milk or could try to pump, you can mix with formula and gradually increase until all formula. Some babies prefer one type over another as well. I know my friend had to try a few types for her baby. Or maybe the ready to feed liquid instead of powder?

I don't have much formula experience since I haven't been around that many babies, but if you ask over in the formula feeding support forum, I bet there are quite a few moms who have been in your shoes who can help better. Good luck! And 9 months of breast milk is a great start for your sweet little one!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hugs, I went through a very similar situation.
Could you try diluting the formula a bit until he takes to it? When I had to make the switch to formula I used liquid and served cold in a cup. I feel this made it much easier for my 10m old.

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote