Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Amordemar
Registered Users
seller

Two questions for EBF newbie

I have a million questions really but I'll just start with two dor now

First of all, my 1wk old is latching fabulously despite the fact that my nipples seem ginormous compared to her teeny mouth! However, Im getting little blisters on my nipples because she clamps down with her gums right after she's done nursing. Ouch! How can I keep her from doing this and what are some good remedies for the blisters? If I notice her not drinking anymore but rather just suckling, should I go ahead and unlatch her?

Second question: when my now 2yr old was born, my son was 4 and I nursed freely in front of him and if he had questions I answered but he grew disinterested quickly and really didn't pay much attention to it. NOW he is 7, going on 8, and stares a little more as boobs are WAY more fascinating to him these days. My husband feels really uncomfortable with me nursing in front of him at this age so I use a wrap/cover whenever he's home but it's so frustrating especially since it's still the early weeks of nursing and I want to be able to SEE and help guide my newbie to correct latches. That's all difficult to do with a cover on. Any thoughts? Is it inappropriate to be so free in front of my 7yr old son or should it not matter..??

Advertisement

Amordemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Two questions for EBF newbie

Congrats on the new baby!! I wish I had better advice on the blister thing. I think I would unlatch her when she was done eating. Though part of me thinks that extra suckling helps build your supply so I'm not sure. But I would sure want to avoid that painful part!!!

As for your son . . . I wouldn't worry too much. I'd be as discrete as possible without hindering what you're doing. Perhaps send him to get you a glass of water or something while you latch the baby. But explaining breastfeeding is a natural part of life should do the trick. Along with a reminder now and then that it's not polite to stare.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
loving my family
Registered Users

Well I understand that need & want to connect with a new baby when they are first trying to learn to latch properly. Is there any way you can go to another room get her latched cover up then come back & sit with everyone. I ask that cause boys are different than girls not sound weird but, in my experience the guys that remember stuff from their own child hood would say stuff like "ahh my eyes are burning each time I remember when my mom would... "or I wish I didn't remember that" anyways you get the point, girls are like "your weird" "don't make it an issue" "its not a big deal" or they have fond sweet memories of stuff like that. It's funny how different boy-& girls or men & women are, you know what I mean. Also if you don't make an issue of it he may loss interest in what your doing.
So unfortunately I have to agree with your husband I know thats not what you want to hear just my honest opion. I have 4 kids so have been there myself it's not easy especially when they get bigger & do the surprise kick or arm through & you flash everyone lol!!
As for your rash Lansinoh Lanolin for sore nipples should help you can pick it up in about any store Wal-mart, Target, Walgreens, Babies R Us... just look in the baby bath care section of the store. If that does not help ask your Dr. it could be a form of yeast.
Anyways take care I hope your nipples heal fast it sounds painful
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe your DD's latch is slipping toward the end of the nursing session, as she gets sleepy, for instance. If you feel her begin to do that, I would definitely unlatch her. If she seems to want to continue to nurse, you can latch her again.

Personally, I think it's important for both boys and girls to see breastfeeding as normal and not something to hide or be ashamed of. I would not cover up in my home with only my immediate family present. I bet your son will quickly lose interest again and it will become very normal to him.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

Ah, my boys are 10, 7 and 3 and only the 3 year old has shown much interest in the baby nursing. I think the more attention you call to it, the more interested and weirded out the kids get. You can try to be discrete, but it's your own home so I'm not sure why you have to be hiding yourself. I do nurse in one chair that's not right in the middle of everything but you're feeding your baby. . . would you put a blanket over your 7 year old while he was eating? Why should it be different for your baby?

As for the blisters. . . have you tried latching the lo diffferently? Sometimes if you change the position of the latch, then the same spot doesn't get all the attention ie. friction and it can heal a little. I loved Soothies for my sore nipples and I would definitely break the latch if the baby is done eating - letting them use you like a pacifier is just asking for soreness this early in the nursing game.

good luck!
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Trixie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
As for your son . . . I wouldn't worry too much. I'd be as discrete as possible without hindering what you're doing. Perhaps send him to get you a glass of water or something while you latch the baby. But explaining breastfeeding is a natural part of life should do the trick. Along with a reminder now and then that it's not polite to stare.
I completely agree with this. Don't make a big deal of it, and remind him it's impolite to stare. I think the more you make of it, there's more of a chance he'll continue to see your breasts as fascinating or mysterious. It's only been a week, so I'll think he'll soon lose interest if you don't validate that interest.

ISO/IHA Fabric Personal Items Mama Clothes Carriers Nerdy posters Boy Shoes Dude stuff 18-24 mos
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not make a big deal out of your son seeing you nurse. Remember that there are lots and lots more women nursing in public and without a cover, so he's going to see it anyway. IMO, I'd rather teach him to be polite with me and answer those questions in the privacy of my own house than have him stare at another woman breastfeeding her child and believe that it's something that should be hidden.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote