Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cost of Homebirth?

FWIW, I am in a low cost of living area.

I had my first consultant with a homebirth midwife today. I wasn't really sure what to expect, I mean I've read things online, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true for midwifery care here. I was a little taken aback by how much it cost, but perhaps that's the norm? Her total fees were $4500, and includes all antepartum, birth and postpartum care except for bloodwork, ultrasounds, and things of that nature. I was expecting something in the $2000-$3000. I did not ask about payment plans or a sliding fee scale. But, even divided by 12 months, it would $375 and I just don't know how we could swing that. She did say that insurance usually does reimburse as an out of network provider but that is something we would have to take up with our insurance company. She does not take insurance upfront because of the turnaround time - she'd be working for free for a year or more before being paid which I don't blame her for.

I am scheduling consultations with other area midwives, but wanted to get an idea of what the norm is.

Advertisement

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cost of Homebirth?

I'm in Tx and both of mine were around $3000 IIRC, insurance covered both of mine.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Oregon, my insurance won't cover even out of network unless it's a CNM attending AT a birth center. The midwives around here average about $4000 for their care, plus the labwork/ultrasounds/etc. like in your situation.

While I think we could have figured out the $4000 with careful budgeting and tax return, my concern was if I had to transfer and then had my additional insurance out of pocket to cover, which would have added an $2300. That total was just too much to consider.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
michiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine has a "discount" for paying before hand and submitting to insurance on our own. Her "global" fee is $4000. We pay $2000 before 30 weeks and submit after (my insurance is #)$(Q*@) and refunded us a whopping $60.) But ultrasounds and bloodwork they do cover, and then the homebirth kit was $45. So OOP we pay less than $2100.

ETA: This is for a licensed homebirth midwife. And she is considered OON for our insurance, we just didn't expect that they would deem $400 of the post-deductible costs as "unnecessary". Apparently they only willingly pay out thousands when it is going to a hospital. :eyeroll:

Last edited by michiko; 04-26-2011 at 03:58 PM.
michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Homebirth midwives around here run between $2200-$3000, including everything except bloodwork and u/s. Some of them even include doing all the prenatal appointments at your own home. $4000 seems high to me, unless you were having a birth center birth.

Be aware that even if your insurance provider might cover some midwife costs, reimbursement still depends on whether or not your employer has specifically paid for that coverage.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My last was 1,400. + 55.00 labfees + 150. for sonogram (opt)
That seems WAY over priced to me!
FWI: we are in texas
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess I got a deal! My homebirth was $1200 and she included the rental of the birth pool with that.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mine was 1,800 but i had a student midwife and a very experienced midwife as her mentor....they both were present at every visit and at birth....but i did interview some other midwives and they all were around 2,500.....once my 'student' midwife finished her hours she would also be charging the same rate of 2,500....i live in St. Louis....midwives are not a popular way to deliver around here
Old 04-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Mine was $1800.00 She brings all supplies with the exception of a plastic tarp to put down under the pool, and a new hose to hook up to our water heater or sink. I pay for all labs and u/s's separetely but that's only maybe an additional $300 tops.

I'm thinking I got a deal!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
alice_hallett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

6 years ago in Texas our hb was around $3000 and our midwife did all visits at our home. Dd's birth in Utah before that was around $2000.
alice_hallett is offline   Reply With Quote