Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cost of Homebirth?

My CNM charges $4000 + lab, u/s etc. She does bill insurance though. When you see theese low prices $1200 I am going to guess that these are unlicensed midwives. I say that because licensed midwives need to cover their malpractice. If you think of it hourly. My midwife schedules one hour for prenatals(10-12 visits), the birth(for me she was there 16 hours), 2 post partum visits( one hour each). Plus the time she has to spend charting after my visits, coordinate labs, u/s and referrals. She also has to pay her birth assistant which is $475+ mileage. She is really not making all that much when it is all said and done.

I know it is expensive but I think I got a great value for my money.

Advertisement

spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
momof4kidz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine will be about 1800 with mileage and her sliding scale fee and another hundred for the pool. There is another group of midwives around here that charge about 4000 though. Your best bet is to ask around or do some snooping on the internet. Thats how i found mine. Type in your area and homebirth midwives. You may find some forums where people are discussing midwives in your area.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

When I called a midwife in town here, her practice charges $4000, that is prenatal, labor, birth and post natal. They are very involved.

I live in Northern WI
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so I'm not completely off my rocker. I have no doubt she deserves the $4500, heck it's probably no where near enough and that it's well worth it But, without having insurance front the money, it makes it very very difficult for the average person to cover the cost, IMO and as it seems it is on the top end of what the "market rate" is. FWIW, she is licensed, but from what I gathered does not have malpractice insurance because it is too costly. She is an ARNP CNM and one of the very few in the area. She is in the process of getting a birth center up and going again (we had one until '08 when the midwife supposedly "retired", but now she's practicing again but mainly women's care?? who knows what really happened) but it will not be ready until 2012 at the earliest. It does not include visits to our home, with the exception of labor and delivery obviously. We would have to go to her which is not a big deal.

EDD 6.29
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

I'm in Memphis, and our MW is $3600 for prenatal/ birth/ antenatal. She can bill insurance, but we don't know if our ins will cover it yet. We are switching to DH's ins which goes into effect May 16. My insurance does not cover it, so fx-ing hard DH's will.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
littlehands
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My midwives charge $1000. They are lay midwives, though the main mw is a licensed nurse. There is four people on their team.

I'm in Utah. I have no idea if this is the norm around here. I think my team mostly does this as a labor of love. A lot of their clients have tight budgets and no insurance. As lay midwives, they couldn't take insurance if they wanted to.
littlehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine was $2,000 if we paid cash and more if we billed the insurance.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

When I looked into it here, it was around 4000 - 4500. But, all of them practice out of Atlanta, so it goes by the price range for where they are, not where you are (I'm nearly an hour away in a lower COL area).
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine was $2,700 for everything. They typically range from $2,000 - $5,000
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I am in Augusta and it's around $2500 for a home birth, but there is only 1 midwife in my town...

I am going to a birth center in Columbia, SC and it costs 4500, and that's with an early pay discount. We should get reimbursed around $1800 after the birth from insurance. Hopefully!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote