Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #21
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cost of Homebirth?

My midwife charges $1400 for everything, though some optional stuff does cost more. She's a CPM and I'm in Utah. I know another local home birth midwifery practice charges between $2600 and $2900.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #22
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in TX too and when we lived in Dallas we mostly got quoted around $2500, then moved to Houston and were shocked to be quoted around $4500. One mw told me that in any given city they kinda have to go with the flow, that it isn't nice to over- or under-price the others. We also see a difference here in CNM's v. CPM's. With my youngest two I ended up going with a CNM in a birth center and it was covered by insurance. I didn't talk with any homebirth midwives who thought getting it covered was really do-able, so I'm always fascinated to hear stories about mamas who fought the company until they got it reimbursed!
kaymurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
agardenfull
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in CA. Our was $4000.00 not inc ultrasounds (opt) or blood work ~ no ins will cover costs. She was very flexible on payment just asked a large sum upfront (we gave her $500.00) and actually didn't pay it off until lil guy was 6 mo old. If you find someone you connect with, talk it out, you might be surprised. Also in today's economy bartering isnt a bad idea either. Our MW was opening an office and had mentioned that if she "KNEW" we might trade she would have asked me (my husband is a general contractor), I was shocked and thought "Yeah! WHY didn't I think of that!"
agardenfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine charges $2200 but knocks $200 off if you pay in full by 37 weeks. She will take payments too. She is a traditional/lay midwife.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #25
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
I am in Augusta and it's around $2500 for a home birth, but there is only 1 midwife in my town...

I am going to a birth center in Columbia, SC and it costs 4500, and that's with an early pay discount. We should get reimbursed around $1800 after the birth from insurance. Hopefully!

Just out of curiosity - what do you think of Covenant thus far? Do you like Lisa? I'm always interested in hearing opinions as I've heard VASTLY different one's....
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Most MW in the area (South Carolina) charge around $3,000-$4,000 for a HB.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #27
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I paid $2,000 but then we rented a birth pool and my doula for $350. Plus I had to buy all of my sterile supplies/birth kit for $75 I think.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #28
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here in Colorado Springs, my midwife charges $2500 (which seems to be the average around here). She is a CPM (certified professional midwife) - as far as I know, CNM's are not allowed to attend homebirths here in CO. CPM's do not carry malpractice insurance here as they are not considered medical personnel. (That may be why some midwives are less expensive in some areas than in others?) All visits are at her office except the 37 week appt and 3 day postpartum visits which are at your home.

My midwife has an ultrasound machine, so ultrasounds are included in her fees. Also included is routine bloodwork and use of a birth pool. Fees are charged for any extra bloodwork, newborn screening, Rhogam (for Rh negative women) and to have her billing service file a claim with insurance. I spent about $50 or so on birthing supplies, also.

My insurance is covering some of the expense, but not all of the pretnal/delivery/postnatal. They only cover the delivery part... it's kind of strange and are only covering about 1/6 of the total bill. I guess they prefer paying 3 to 4 times as much (or whatever amount they allow) for a hospital birth plus the amount paid to the obgyn.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #29
rah0315
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My home birth here in north FL is $4000 for pre/postnatal and delivery.
rah0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #30
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My homebirth here i Aus will cost $4500. That includes the birthing tub and most supplies, and a second midwife on call. All visits are done at home. Here I get reimbursed about $1500 through the public health system.

In San Francisco I was quoted around $5000 by 3 midwives. And visits would be at their office... needless to say I decided not to do it because my insurance covered the hospital and my copay was only $100. They would not cover homebirth at all.