Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
oh_virginia
Registered Users
seller

Car Seats!

Let me start this by saying, that my first was pretty big (9#10oz and 23 inches) and his infant seat (an older model baby trend flex lock) only had a height limit of like, 26 inches.
We used the bucket seat for 3 months before we switched him over to a convertible car seat. (The MyRide65 to be specific) It wasn't much more of a hassle to have him in the convertible, except when we went shopping and had to have him in a carrier, or when we went to dinner and someone had to hold him because he wasn't big enough to sit up in a highchair/cart. But by 5 months that was a non-issue and he was sitting in carts/restaurant highchairs like a champ.

Here's my issue: I can't decide if I want to spend $100 on an infant carseat that we'll only use for a few months (I'll probably switch this one over when he/she gets too heavy, because I'm a wimp lol) but I don't know if I want to wake up a sleeping newborn in the dead of Montana winter because he/she's in the convertible and I can't carry the bucket seat in.
(My son's infant seat was given to crisis clinic when he outgrew it, so his old seat isn't an option.)

So.
Here's the question, who's buying a convertible for their newest, and who's buying an infant seat?
Also, just for kicks- what kind are you getting?

Advertisement

oh_virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car Seats!

Going to be watching this. I am buying whatever will fit into my car, but curious about what everyone else is buying too. I might have to buy a narrow convertible to make mine fit.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
oh_virginia
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyjoy View Post
Going to be watching this. I am buying whatever will fit into my car, but curious about what everyone else is buying too. I might have to buy a narrow convertible to make mine fit.
Have you seen the Combi Coccoro? LOVE THEM! So cute, and so small. Just an idea haha. That's the one I've got my eye on, purely because it's so cute.
oh_virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had the same dilemma as you. I paid $15 for a NIP Graco Snugride infant seat at a local consignment sale. I would suggest borrowing an infant seat or trying to find a reliable one cheap and invest in the convertible. Also. You never know about baby's size...my DS was born at 8-7, 24" long and weighed 28lbs by 3 months so we had to move him. My DD after was born at 8-1, 19" and was in her infant seat for ten months.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I bought a Maxi Cosi Mico, it's a fairly low profile infant bucket. the flex-loc I think is the narrowest, and the chicco keyfit is supposed to be fairly narrow/easy to fit as well. I think a lot of it has to do with the base!

I have Honda CR-V and right now I have a Complete Air (4yo DD) FFing, and then DS is in the middle RFing in a Radian 80sl. With that combo the entire outboard passenger seat is available for another person or carseat! My 17 yo sister is living with us right now so that's why I have to keep that seat free, but she is moving back to my mom's after school gets out. Anyways I know for a fact that I can do the infant seat with no base (using seat belt only) and the Mico has the European style seat belt routing which I like.
I am like 99percent sure that I'll be able to use it with the base though (this is the plan) but the passenger seat will have to be forward just a bit since the Radian can only go in the middle so the baby will be going behind the passenger seat.

I have:
2 Radian 80SLs
1 Complete Air 65
1 Frontier 85
1 Marathon 70
2 classic Marathons
2 Roundabout 40s
1 Cosco Scenera
1 Maxi Cosi Mico
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland View Post
I had the same dilemma as you. I paid $15 for a NIP Graco Snugride infant seat at a local consignment sale. I would suggest borrowing an infant seat or trying to find a reliable one cheap and invest in the convertible. Also. You never know about baby's size...my DS was born at 8-7, 24" long and weighed 28lbs by 3 months so we had to move him. My DD after was born at 8-1, 19" and was in her infant seat for ten months.
Just don't buy a used seat because they are not usable if they've been in an accident and you can't trust a stranger with your baby's life If it's a family member or someone you trust and you KNOW the history of the seat it's okay to get a hand me down or borrow one. As long as it's not expired!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_virginia View Post
Have you seen the Combi Coccoro? LOVE THEM! So cute, and so small. Just an idea haha. That's the one I've got my eye on, purely because it's so cute.
they are sooooo freaking cute I just love having a bucket for newborns so that's pretty much the only reason I'm not buying one lol!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05

Just don't buy a used seat because they are not usable if they've been in an accident and you can't trust a stranger with your baby's life If it's a family member or someone you trust and you KNOW the history of the seat it's okay to get a hand me down or borrow one. As long as it's not expired!!!
Yep! That's what I meant. Mine was still in the original packaging and unexpired. And if you borrow, from someone you know.

Oh, and the Chicco Keyfit only fits to 22lbs.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland View Post
Yep! That's what I meant. Mine was still in the original packaging and unexpired. And if you borrow, from someone you know.

Oh, and the Chicco Keyfit only fits to 22lbs.
Oh I know, I would buy it if it was NIP too!

they keyfit is to 30 lbs though!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

well I think they do have a 22 lb version but I've never seen it in any store or IRL