Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
luvbeingmomma
Registered Users

What happens when mom is pg w/ a child in care?

What happens when a mom has a child in custody for severe abuse and gets pg again? From what I understand they wont do anything to help protect the new baby unless there is a call made to the hotline. This is hard for me to swallow. How does it work in your area? Is it different if the parent has been TPRd or criminally prosecuted?

Advertisement

luvbeingmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What happens when mom is pg w/ a child in care?

It's all case by case and going to be very different. Some places want to continue giving chances and some don't. Sorry that's not a helpful answer.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

Above - it also depends on the political climate. In theory, she is entitled to have the opportunity to parent all children and actual abuse/neglect needs to happen on that child but depending on the situation/judge some will remove at birth, some not. If there is a TPR, it just speeds up the TPR for the next child in terms of the clock for permanency planning and they take that into consideration vs. starting over. If the person consented to adoption to avoid being TPR'ed its not considered a TPR.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oregon same way as above... it depends on the reason they were removed... However if there is a Child in State custody and she can NOT have that child back because of legal reasons and she is due to bring another child in they will Almost always open a case for the new child leave it in the care of the Mother until she screws Up as long as she meets the requirements of the DHS worker
Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
mariegal
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sometimes they put the baby right into care from the hospital too. It depends on the circumstances.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here, parents can't automatically lose a baby b/c of circumstances with a previous child/children. It's the law. But they will set rules and monitor closely. My dd's biomom got preggo right after her five kids went into care. DSS told her she had to live with her parents (be supervised) and not have contact with her boyfriend. A couple weeks after the baby was born her parents said she was having contact and the baby went into care.
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
cococomey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This depends on the state.
here if you have a child in care then the baby doesn't automatically come into protective custody, she has a right to parent. there has to be some type of abuse report to investigate OR that child has to test positive for something illegal, etc. at birth.
The agency should staff this while she is still preggo to set an action plan IF the child happens to come into care.

Now if she has a child in care that has been TPR'ed then her rights to future children is jeopardized. If she has a child in care that she surrendered rights to then she is considered to have had the child's best interests in mind thus allowing future children of hers to remain in her custody.

Bio parents don't realize that they REALLY don't want to be TPR'ed- that is pretty bad for them. Surrendering rights is so much more favorable for them but also requires them to admit to failure which is something that is hard for them to do. Especially since most think that they have not done anything wrong.

cococomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
luvbeingmomma
Registered Users

Thanks everyone!
luvbeingmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is our experience. Our son was BM 3rd child.

First child she willingly gave up to DCS and signed rights when she was about 12 mths old.

Second child had to stay in NICU when the SW at hospital evaluated BM they called DCS because they believed child would be in danger if released to BM. BM has mental heath issued, mental handicaps, substance abuse issues. Second child was placed in same home as first child, reunification was offered she did a couple visits neither BM or BD showed any effort. TPR was done on second child for no resonable effort when she was 10 mths old.

Third child (our son) was born 2 mths later before 2nd child adopted. He was preemie in NICU, he was born marijuana positive plus nurses observed BM behaviors and felt child was in danger. DCS was contacted and restraining order issued. BM told SW that she had no intention of keeping this child if DCS was involved and would not comply. Adoptive family of other 2 siblings were offered child but didn't feel like it was right time for them. Still in midst of adoption with 1 year old. He was placed with us with a dual plan at RU but with NRE making State not willing to pay for services and adoption. BM and BD never have shown interest in this child.

She is reportably preg with 4th child by same BD as last 2 children. Child must be born in same county and nurses must suspect that child is in danger before DCS can become involved. Because it has been established that BM could not be left unsupervised with a child DCS would remove. State is no longer required to pay for RU services for birthparents since they have never complied and have multiple TPR. Child would be placed in preadoptive home same as our son .... can't help but pray that we will get that call for placement this fall.

Last edited by dalynn1997; 05-03-2011 at 05:59 PM.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote