Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I keep hearing a lot about this... I'm 36 weeks this week... And I'm curious about starting it maybe soon...
Where can I get it?
Do I need to ask my midwife about kisumu it before I start?
Give me the scoop on it... I'm gonna go google it now for more information lol... Thanks mamas!

Oh also anything else that helps besides sex blah blah blah yada yada.... I know all those things...

Oh yeah what about raspberry leaf tea... What do you think about that? Where do you find it?

Advertisement

Last edited by A&M'smommy; 04-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: EPO?

I talked to my midwife about both and she thought they were great. You should probably talk to your midwife since she's familiar with your pregnancy.

I started taking EPO orally at 37 weeks and vaginally at 39 weeks. I drank RRL tea throughout my pregnancy (a couple cups a week) and then drank a quart of a stronger brew per day starting at 38 weeks.

I bought EPO at Trader Joe's, and could find bagged RRL at my grocery store. For the stronger brew, I bought loose herbs at my health food store.

From my understanding, EPO is a cervical ripener and RRL is a uterine toner, so they just help your body prepare for labor, they generally don't do anything to start labor.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My recommendation to my clients:

37 weeks 1,000mg orally 3x a day
38 weeks 1,000mg orally 3x a day, 1,000mg vaginally 1x a day
39 weeks 1,000 mg orally 3x a day, 1,000mg vaginally 2x a day
40+ weeks 1,000mg orally 3x a day, 1,000mg vaginally 3x a day

I followed this plan and feel it did help me have a much more favorable cervix when I reached the point where it was medically necessary to induce me (I had HELLPS with my first and preeclampsia with my second). My 1st birth resulted in a c/s due to FTP - I had a severely unfavorable cervix. With my 2nd, my cervix was much more favorable and after the initial dose of pitocin, I was off to the races and achieved a wonderful VBAC.

Keep in mind, it is not taken to make your body go into labor, contract, dilate, ect... It is simply to help soften the cervix and make it more favorable so that when labor does happen - it tends to be slightly easier!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does anyone think I can start with 1300mg once a day at 35 weeks? I took one today, for the first time. I'm anxious to get things ripe! I took Udo's oil which has EPO in it throughout my whole pg with DS so I think some is okay but I don't know how much was in the Udo's.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
Does anyone think I can start with 1300mg once a day at 35 weeks? I took one today, for the first time. I'm anxious to get things ripe! I took Udo's oil which has EPO in it throughout my whole pg with DS so I think some is okay but I don't know how much was in the Udo's.

Personally, I'd caution use before 37 weeks as some women are sensitive to the moderate prostaglandin affect the EPO has. I've dealt with a several mama's who used EPO both orally and vaginally and went from thick to 90% effaced within days of starting EPO, mama's who have started contracting from a super thin cervix due to the EPO, and two mama's who had membrane rupture within 2 days of starting EPO - and one was at 36 weeks. I do understand these could be "coincidental", but I personally feel the EPO worked its magic a little too well! So I always caution using EPO or any other "natural" method until the "term" mark at 37 weeks.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cindrella08
Thanks for all the helpful info I will definitely ask my midwife on Tuesday what they think of it. And by then I will be 37 weeks. Do you think there is a difference between the one I can pick up at walmart vs buying one at a health food store? Or is it all pretty much the same? I was induced last time but I'm just wanting everything to go quickly this time so I'm not in labor for 28 hours again.. Lol.
But thanks so much for all your help!
And I'll check into red raspberry leaf tea. Wish I knew about that before...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
think 35w might be a little early. I'd wait a couple more weeks before taking it by mouth and till 39w before using it vaginally. Another thing that is amazing for helping your body prepare itself is "Dr Christopher's Birth-prep formula" I can get it locally at the health food store but if you can't find it you can order it online here. You take it for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy (or less if you don't start at 34wk) and increase dosage gradually according the directions until birth. The last 2 times I used it and was already 5+cm before active labor began. The baby practically fell out(well not quite but it was SOOO much easier than my first). Absolutely worth every penny!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take 2000mg orally and 2000mg vaginally from 37 weeks w/ my 3rd-9th. I started it at 36 weeks w/ my 10th. I get mine from Walmart, Target or natural grocery.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
My recommendation to my clients:

37 weeks 1,000mg orally 3x a day
38 weeks 1,000mg orally 3x a day, 1,000mg vaginally 1x a day
39 weeks 1,000 mg orally 3x a day, 1,000mg vaginally 2x a day
40+ weeks 1,000mg orally 3x a day, 1,000mg vaginally 3x a day
Thanks for this great breakdown! My Midwife (Army issued hospital based Midwife) just said "It's good to use if you want to" and left it at that

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchatziB View Post
Thanks for this great breakdown! My Midwife (Army issued hospital based Midwife) just said "It's good to use if you want to" and left it at that
That is what my midwife said. I was excited when she suggested it but when I asked her about dosage and how to use it, she just told me I could look it up online... Oh well.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote