Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
alinatmom
Registered Users
seller

stripping membranes

I am 39 weeks and 3 days now and feeling desperate. Has anyone ever had this done? Was it effective? I have my ob appointment today and was thinking of asking her to do it

Advertisement

alinatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
bodiejake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: stripping membranes

I had it done with DS when I was about a week overdue. Unfortunately, it still did not help. I still had to be induced with him. He was taking up camp in there and refused to come out. It hurt like you know what to have it done. I actually didn't even know what he was doing until it was too late. I have opted to not have that done again since then. OUCH!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
MommaBeach
Registered Users

My Mood:

I completely agree with BodieJake. I will never opt to have memb. stripped again. The worst pain ever!!!! I was more miserable after leaving OB office than what I was before
MommaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had it done at my last 2 appointments. It caused some cramping and contractions a couple hours after the first time and I lost my mucus plug over the next couple days. I got all excited...but that was 2 weeks ago and I had it done at my last appointment, too, but it didn't cause any contractions the 2nd time. I'm still pregnant, too...39w3d. Hope it works for you!

For me, it didn't hurt. It was uncomfortable, but not painful. It wasn't any worse than just having my cervix checked.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys

Last edited by jenndoxx; 04-29-2011 at 06:53 AM.
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

I've had it done several times with both previous pregnancies and it definitely did not work with the first, maybe with the second but not until about 48 hours after the 2nd attempt. It hurts like a SOB and I felt really uncomfortable after it. With that said, I will be doing it again starting on Monday. They will start sweeping on Monday and stretch and sweep Thursday and the following Monday. For me it is about trying to avoid a medicated induction so anything I can do that does not involve pit is going to happen. I'm fully prepared to feel like I have a spikey bowling ball in my crotch for a while though if it doesn't work!

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think it works either! I had it done w/ my first, who eventually was induced, with my second they did it and she was born the next day but I think that was more co-incidence than cause/effect. I can't remember w/ my twins, I thought they'd never come and I think I asked for it to be done and I know I didn't have them for several days after that appointment. I was 38 weeks this week and he did not do it, I think they wait til 39-40 weeks to try it at my OB's office. From what I Remember it really isn't that uncomfortable, anymore than a regular vag. check is. You might have some spotting or be a bit uncomfortable afterwards, but I didn't find it extremely painful. If you are 39+ and want to give it a try, I don't think it can hurt. BUt I also don't think it will work unless you are ready to go anyway, just like all those other 'self-inducing' things like sex, nipple stim., ect.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
alinatmom
Registered Users
seller

I had it done, It wasn't to painful just some cramping now.. I am not at 4cm so she said i was a good candidate for it to work. here's to hoping!
alinatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think if you're close, it can push you over the edge. I had it done with my youngest and it's what sent me into labor. I had it done with my oldest, though, and she still went past her due date.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had it done at 41w4d and it was very painful. I had contractions all night afterwards but they never gained strength to put me into active labor. I was induced the next day anyway. I don't know, maybe it could have worked if we had waited.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope, didn't work for us either at 40 wks. Still induced.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote