Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Croch3tingMom3
Registered Users

Im ready to give up i need help

DS will be a week old tomorrow (wow I cant believe it) and things are going so hard. It hurts for him to nurse, it hurts for anyone to touch my breast, he is not peeing and pooping but maybe once a day. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have seen a LC and they said his latch was good. I sa a DR and they said everything looks good (i thought i might have mastitis). I can express milk and have seen it come from his mouth before. He does fall asleep while eating but i have been trying to keep him up and been waking him. I have nursed before so i know i can do it, but it was not this hard before. I don't know what to do. I know he needs to go to the bathroom and that's my main concern i can deal with the pain but he can't not go to the bathroom. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not want to stop or give up but i don't know what else to do.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Advertisement

I'm a mother of three almost four and wife of a former service member. I love spending time with my kids, my friends, my church, and my God. Though things don't always go as planned and I can't always see the end He always gets me through. ~ Nychole
Croch3tingMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
kej
Registered Users
seller

Re: Im ready to give up i need help

What has the pediatrician said about his not peeing or pooping?

Hang in there. You can do it.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a La Leche League nearby you? Call them immediately please. They will be able to help you, because nursing should NOT hurt
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
ChacoMama
Registered Users

I had a lot of pain the first couple of weeks too. My DD has a side preference the first 2 days of life - I could not get her to nurse on the left - so the hospital suggested a nipple shield. Unfortunately the nurses that were trying to help me get her to latch weren't putting the nipple shield on correctly, so when she would finally latch she wasn't as far back on my nipple as she needed to be. It didn't hurt while we were in the hospital, but boy did I pay for it later! Every time she latched it felt like she had glass in her mouth! Fortunately the pain would subside shortly after she started nursing. Her latch was good, the pain was just from the nipple shield issue (which I discontinued after the 2nd day).

Some things I used that really helped...
Medela Breastshells (http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfe...-problems.html) - You wear them inside your bra. There is a whole that the nipple goes into, and the dome-shaped front of the shell keeps the nipple from rubbing against your bra or clothing.

Ameda Comfort Gel Pads (http://ameda.com/amedaproducts/acces...#Breast%20Care - click the breast care link)
These can be rinsed and reused for a week or two. Other brands make them, but these are easier to maintain and can be used longer than others I tried. Some mamas use cold tea bags or slices of cucumber.

Lansinoh Lanolin was very helpful to me too, and is great for many things other than sore nipples (I LOVE it for when you have a cold/allergies and your nose gets irritated).

I hope this helps! It will get better as long as the latch is good. My LC just said to make sure that you get as deep as latch as you can. The real indication to me that I'd turned a corner in the pain department was when I could actually face the shower when I took a shower!
ChacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
ChacoMama
Registered Users

Oh, and LOTS of water (but I know you know that)! And I it hurts, but make sure you little one is getting enough nursing sessions. Every baby is different, but in the beginning our DD was nursing 12 times a day.
ChacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Croch3tingMom3
Registered Users

We haven't seen a ped yet I don't know how to do it. We have Medicaid and I don't know how to go about getting him on it or who he can see and so on.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
I'm a mother of three almost four and wife of a former service member. I love spending time with my kids, my friends, my church, and my God. Though things don't always go as planned and I can't always see the end He always gets me through. ~ Nychole
Croch3tingMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is he nursing on demand? I would try to nurse every 2 hours, keep him awake even if you have to strip him naked! Maybe he would take more breastmilk and pee/poop more. That's what I would do, oh and also see what his Dr has to say about his pees and poops.
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Libacious
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, amen to the gel pads. I used Vigilon, but it's the same concept. VERY soothing in between feedings. I also used nipple butter by Palmer's.
I too had the horrific painful latch for almost 8 weeks with my daughter(6 weeks with my son). Yes, I wanted to quit. I cried like a baby everytime the feed began and didn't know if I could make it. It would hurt like hell for the first couple of minutes of the latch, then it would subside somewhat. It all derived from some bad latching the first days of life that led to early cracking, bleeding---general nastiness from my kids not opening their little mouths wide enough for my flat nipples.
Toughening can take a bit, so just take it one feeding at a time. As far as stools/voids, how long is baby eating each feed? Is he looking very jaundiced?
Libacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
livn4him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time. Please check out Dr. Newmans website, I think it may be very helpful for you. drjacknewman.com. there are many helpful suggestions for struggling moms.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Start making phone calls to get a doctor's appointment. Call the hospital where you gave birth and talk to the lactation ladies. See if they can help you (many will do it for free if you delivered there).
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote