Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about going over due...

I'm only 35w5d today but my Dr. and I were talking at my appt today. I've gone overdue with all of my other children, so both of us are thinking that I will with this one too. She said that she doesn't like her patients going over 41 weeks b/c the baby isn't gaining anymore weight, the possibility of feces (what's the m word for first poop again lol?) and other risks. She said that we'd talk more about it as I get closer to my due date.

I was induced with my last dd and I *really* don't want to repeat that. The Dr. that I had with my last dd was also a different Dr. in a different town.

Does this Dr. claims hold any truth to them? The longest I've gone over was 13 days and I surely don't *want* to do that again, but if baby and I are healthy, I don't see the big deal.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about going over due...

i think you can just tell them you want to hold off and see if you go into labor and they can do non stress tests to make sure the baby is doing fine in the meantime.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, induction greatly increases your chances of c-section. I would tell your dr that you would rather wait it out.

Besides, some women are just long gestators

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story

Last edited by rainydaysunshine; 04-29-2011 at 05:25 PM.
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You're not actually "overdue" until you pass 42 weeks. Human gestation is 37-42 weeks.

Now, with that said, some doctors like to put arbitrary limits on it. Some don't want you to go past 41 weeks and most OBs "won't" let you go past 42. If you want to go to 42 they will almost always require you to start going in for non-stress tests to make sure baby is still okay in there. I'd talk it over with her to see what your options are.

As far as meconium goes (baby's first bowel movement) that can really happen at any time when you're getting towards the end (I remember reading somewhere that up to 20% of all births have evidence of meconium being passed in utero, but don't quote me!), but is more likely to happen if you deliver later term. It's not usually a huge issue, although it can be if baby aspirates the meconium, which only happens in a small percentage of cases.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
3x a mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaysunshine View Post
Yeah, induction greatly increases your chances of c-section. I would tell your dr that you would rather wait it out.

Besides, some women are just long gestators
I agree. I went over with my first two by 4 and 5 days respectively. I am not anticipating an early arrival with this one either. My MW starts doing NSTs after 40 weeks, and recommends all the "natural" ways of kickstarting labor. I have already told my MW that I would prefer no medical induction and she is willing to go to 42 weeks before intervening (membrane stripping, cervidil).

Good luck to you mama!

Amy
mom to Jason and Corey
Expecting #3 July 2011
3x a mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would go in for all the tests under the sun, but try to gestate as long as possible. If you don't have risks, just watch and wait.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
haddockhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my doctor didn't want me to go past 41 weeks either. We compromised though, and she is ok with me going to 42 weeks with monitoring one day between weekly appointments. I'm ok with that, and I'm not comfortable going past 42 weeks but do want to give baby a chance. GL mama!
haddockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the insight. I really don't want to force her out if she's not ready, kwim? Plus, being induced caused killer contractions last pregnancy. They were BAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockhouse View Post
my doctor didn't want me to go past 41 weeks either. We compromised though, and she is ok with me going to 42 weeks with monitoring one day between weekly appointments. I'm ok with that, and I'm not comfortable going past 42 weeks but do want to give baby a chance. GL mama!
That's about how I feel too mama!
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies often pass meconium before birth, but it only becomes a problem if the baby aspirates the meconium, which happens when the baby is stressed, usually if their oxygen supply is cut off during really hard (usually pitocin-induced) contractions, or the cord is compressed in some way. The best way of ensuring that the baby doesn't get really stressed during labor is to let labor start naturally and avoid augmentation.

For further insight on meconium and how to avoid issues associated with it, read this post. It is awesome.
http://midwifethinking.com/2010/10/0...tained-liquor/
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

My boy was 10 days overdue - big and healthy and no complications. I actually know someone who went 2 1/2 weeks (actually I think it was a few days after) they were both totally healthy and beautiful, no complications... I suppose I'd get super nervous going that far... but just wanted to send some support your way. I know my homebirth midwives don't worry about it too much, and up to 42 weeks is considered normal gestation.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote