Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Talk to me about going over due...

IN germany, at least in my experience and hospital, they will not let you go past 7 days overdue. In my case it was right before christmas so they planned to induce at 5 days due to the holiday. But my water broke at 2 days overdue, and I ended up induced anyway before having a c section.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My MW and I discussed that today, and she agrees that you're not overdue until you're 42+. But she said that, until then, if I'm worried she'll order any tests I want to feel comfortable. Only 40w3d, so I told her to ask me again next week if the baby's still not here. Till then we're just biding our time!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Baby Jake's Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went over due with both my kiddos. How much over is still a mater of debate! Sammy was due by dates December 25 (ultrasound December 28 - January 5 depending on the tech) and was born January 15 (induced with balloon catheter - labour stopped, went home and labour started on it's own later). We did the non stress tests and a bpp to ensure that baby was alright. Everything was awesome for me. If they are pushing for an induction I recommend asking about the balloon catheter as no drugs are used (I was a VBAC - so drugs would put me at higher risk for another c-section). If mom and baby are fine - I see no reason why you shouldn't wait until baby is ready. My midwife commented at Sam's birth that she didn't even look overdue at all - so she came when she was ready. It would be horrible to think what would have happened if the did the scheduled c-section at 37 weeks by dates - she would have been soooo premature!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went to 41w5d with my DS before being induced by breaking my water - DS was born the next day. The labor was long and hard (by my estimation - it was my first birth so nothing to compare that to), but overall it went fine. He did not have meconium when they broke my water. DS was a big baby (9lb. 4.8oz.) but again, nothing to compare birthing a large vs. a small baby so it was fine with me.

I have already started discussing if that happens again with my midwife... and she said 42 weeks is fine but then they will definitely want to induce. I hope I'll go into labor before then and also I am seeing a chiropractor in case that might encourage spontaneous labor.

It is easy to say "42 weeks is normal gestation" but for any mama that has gone so long past their due date, as another PP said, it's hard not to worry. My midwife/OB practice does a NST/BPP at 41 weeks and then sees you again a few days later to talk about induction if baby is still hanging in there.

Good luck to you mama. Do what feels right to you and what you're comfortable with. It's hard!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. I have another appt with my Dr. tomorrow, but we might have something else to worry about atm. It seems that my lil girly is still transverse and is comfy in that position. Soooo, we may be talking inversion soon.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would suggest trying a good pregnancy chiropractor before an inversion!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I would suggest trying a good pregnancy chiropractor before an inversion!
ITA!! I my chiropractor, particularly during pregnancy.

Another over-due mama here . I went 41+4 with my VBAC. There was a good bit of merconium (I think my guys just need to poop where they eat to get the message anyway ), but after a little suction he was fine.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BOTH of my boys went overdue. My firstborn was forty-two weeks plus three. My second thought he'd show up his brother and was forty-three weeks plus three. Both had meconium in the water but did not aspirate it, both weighed eight pounds two ounces and both were very healthy right from the start (minus some breathing trouble due to fluid in the lungs that didn't get squeezed out during birth for my youngest). I had a freestanding birth center birth with my first and a homebirth with my second. Technically, I went way past protocol for the homebirth. I had two rounds of non-stress tests and biophysical profiles in my later weeks of this most recent pregnancy (one in the first) and was scheduled for a medical induction that I, fortunately, did not have to attend. My babies just take a little longer to reach their beautiful perfection...
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote