Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The Birth of Jacob Noah

So Wednesday late afternoon I started getting crampy, pelvic pressure and a bit of a backache. I had some contractions, but they were very irregular - 10 min, 17 min, 30 min, 15 min, etc. So it seemed to be exactly what I had been experiencing for the last two weeks, on and off. Had been losing chunks of plug again all day too.

When it didn't subside after a few hours, I decided to take a shower to see if I got relief. I figured if it went away, I was going to make it to my Friday appointment. DD1 was at her dads, DD2 was home with me and DH was at work til 10PM.

So I took the shower....and it didn't help. I tried to check my cervix...and felt something....odd....since I was already texting with Anne, I asked her if it was possible that I was feeling a bulging bag...she was like, um YEAH, find care for DD2 and get to the hossie! So I called the OB on call first. She asks me how far along I am (38+3) and if they had checked me at the office yet. I tell her yes, a week and a half ago, and I was 2cm and 50%. She was like, well, why don't you come in and we'll check ya out. I didn't wanna feel dumb and not be in labor, but she said come on in, so I thought what the hell.

So I load up DD2 in the car, decide at the last minute to grab bags and camera, just in case. LOL. Got in the car and thought, huh, maybe I should grab a towel too, since this car is new....When I ran back inside, I decided to throw a change of clothes in DD2's bag as well, ya know, just in case.

So I text DH before I leave and let him know I'm coming up (he works at that hossie). Then Call my mom on the way there. She asked me what we were up to and I was like, "Oh, going to the hospital." She said, "Oh right, haha, what are you really doing?" "Um, going to the hospital...." She about peed her pants. She totally thought I was messing with her! LOL! So she talked me the 15 min drive up to the hossie and through 3 contractions.

DD2 and I get to the hossie and in the elevator to get in the main hospital from the parking garage and I have another contraction. This poor old guy in the elevator was like, "Oh, having a bad day?" when he saw the grimace on my face. I'm like, "Uh, no, just in labor." He absolutely PANICKED, wanted to help me into a wheelchair and get me to the 3rd floor...LOL! I declined, said I was ok and we headed to L & D. Had to stop twice for contractions.

So...get up to L & D and checked in. Get in our triage room and the nurse does her paperwork then says she'll check me. As soon as she gets up in there, she says, "OH WOW!" I said, "Um, so I'm guessing I'm NOT going home tonight?" She said, "Oh no, you guessed right! You are 5cm and have a bulging bag of water. Let's get you over to a room!"

So I text DH down in the ER and tell him it's time to come up - he calls and is like, "SERIOUSLY?? you're in labor??" Yep, honey, sure am.

So we get over to delivery and wait for DH to get up there. Called mom and dad to have them come get DD2. DD2 drives me batty the entire time (a 6yo that thinks she's 16 and never shuts up is NOT fun during contractions, trust me!). They ask about an epi, and I tell them I'd like to go as long as possible before any pain meds. My RN offers to bring me a labor ball, which I gladly accept! Everything went very smoothly and I was progressing pretty quickly. Dr P came in and checked me and I was at a 7 about an hour after getting to delivery. She asked if I wanted to break my water and I told her to go ahead. Contractions still didn't really hurt at this point, and I was still talking and even called a few people. LOL. They asked me if I wanted an epi, and I declined at the time, and the RN even asked me if I wanted her to stop asking, she didn't want to bother me. I told her, no it's fine, don't worry about it. I was dilated to 8 cm at this point. Then out of the blue, the contractions got so intense, I couldn't even rest in between them. They just did NOT end at all - they were one on top of another. I begged DH to call the RN for an epi at that point (which he quickly did, to his benefit...LOL!) Anesthesiologist came up, and had a heck of a time getting it in because I was in so much pain I couldn't relax. I felt bad for her having to do it, really! I broke her sterile field at one point with a particularly bad ctx and she had to throw it out and start over.

Needless to say, I waited too long for the epi, so while it took a bit of the edge off, I was most definitely NOT painfree. It hurt like hell. I was ready to push, but having a heck of a time with passing out and getting nauseated with every push. OB called anesthesia back down and they had given me the max for the epi, but decided to give me some lidocaine since I was so miserable. They OB and RN were a little panicked though (the RN later told me!) because it generally stops labor. So they were trying to help me get him out. Turns out, it was a quick 30 min of pushing tops - OB and DH said "Here's his head!" and RN had me feel it! I cried of course - I had not been able to do this before! Then OB told me to push one good push and his head came out - and I had no idea! I didn't have that normal "pop" feeling. She then told me to give a gentle little push, she didn't want me to tear badly and out he came! Jacob Noah arrived at 12:36AM on April 28th all by himself! He was 7# 14 oz and 19 3/4" long. Only a few small tears that my OB repaired. I really couldn't have asked for a better labor and delivery team! By far, best labor ever, and I thought DD2's went well!!!

The only thing I have to say is this: Everyone says pitocin induced labors are worse. I call BS. I've done both and pitocin didn't hurt NEARLY as much. LOL!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Birth of Jacob Noah

Oh yay Tara! That was an awesome birth story...He is so dang cute!!!!!!!

Congrats!

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Julesboch
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats! Glad you got a quick labor!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congratulations!!! He looks so sweet, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great story & he is adorable! Glad his head didn't do any major damage

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a cutie! Congratulations on your great labor & birth!
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

OMW!!! he is so perfect and pretty! I can't wait till my munchkin is born. congrats!!!!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awww congats! He's beautiful!

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote