Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Beautiful twins/triplets birth montage

I think it's so sad that multiple babies get short-changed often in the medical system today. My sister has a friend who went into labor prematurely, and they immediately did a c-section (31 weeks). The babies of course were in the NICU, but instead of being encouraged to breastfeed, the mom was told that she wasn't capable of providing enough milk for them, and she stopped breastfeeding. Now she has preemie twins and PPD. It makes me really sad, because we KNOW that c-sections and not breastfeeding are 1) not as healthy for babies or mothers, full-term or not and 2). increase the risk of PPD.

My sister and I were born vaginally at 31 weeks and my mom worked hard to breastfeed both of us- we never got bottles, even after being in the NICU for 5 or 6 weeks. The youngest baby to ever survive to adulthood was also born *gasp* vaginally, not by c-section! (I think he was 23 weeks...or something close to that- and with no apparent ill-effects). In my local hospital a nurse stated that babies less than 35 weeks needed to be born by c-section "because their little bodies can't handle it". I can see where someone might think that, based on a low understanding of the birth process, but the reality is that vaginal birth is almost always healthier and less stressful than a c-section, even for preemies and multiples. It is best for their immune system, also.

Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: momto6
My Mood:

Originally Posted by maple79vt View Post
That video needs a warning sign attached for hormonal pregnant women! Now I need a tissue.
For sure, especially the ones having multiples!
Mom to 4 boys & 4 girls!!! Our , born 10/17/11!!
MyCrazy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I loved that. Cried my eyes out.
Mama to DS 8, DD 5, DS2 2 and DD2 12/2/11
drkelli is offline   Reply With Quote