Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #41
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: May 2, 3, & 4 Chat

I will be breast-feeding.

Ds1 was breast-fed from the beginning, I felt like it was a rough start, but it was probably just normal. I'm so glad my mom was there to help me when it got rough, I think once my milk came in he just had a hard time latching and it was stressful for both of us. Once we got it figured out it was awesome! He weaned at 12 months... didn't really know much about extended nursing and it just felt right, he was a busy boy and nursing with him was always more just nourishment than comfort. He didn't even miss it when we were done.

Ds2 was a dream boat from day 1 to nurse, he nursed a lot more frequently than ds1, I think he needed it for comfort just as much as for food. We mutually weaned when he was 20.5 months, just a couple weeks after I found out about this lo. I was really torn about what to do, but he was down to just once a day in the morning anyway and with my history of early loss (I know there is no real evidence that nursing hurts anything) I just felt more comfortable devoting everything to the new little one growing. I felt ds2 had gotten sufficient time at the breast. It was a beautifully ending to our nursing relationship and I felt so at peace about it.

To be honest, the break for me has been nice. You mamas that tandem nurse are rock stars, but I just think it would be a lot for me... and for me it's been nice to have my body back for a little while before devoting another 2 years or so to nursing another lo.

Advertisement

5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #42
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to give more input later & do personals...I really am...

BUT--

An SNS is a "supplemental nursing system", its basically a bottle (for the supplement--in my case my own pumped milk), with a TINY hose on it that feeds down the breast to the babies mouth.

Baby's suckle draws the milk from the bottle (worn like a necklace) to their mouth WHILE stimulating the nipple & continuing to teach a child to latch.

Ideally, the baby learns to latch/Mama's supply goes up & you don't need it forever.

In our case, we are using it, since I am dry/only have colostrum and want Luke to nurse through until the baby comes to help him gain weight.

Luke still suckles daily, at bed time, wake up (some days), and if he gets hurt. BUT, he's changed his latch & is now CUTTING my nipple as soon as he latches on...and it hurts.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #43
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll be breastfeeding.

With Lana I had a few small problems for the first couple weeks, but it was mainly just the beginning discomfort and learning what to do. She nursed quite a bit until 18 months when I got pregnant. I immediately cut her down a bit because it was so painful but stuck it out until after I gave birth.

Naima was AMAZING to nurse from the first moment. Since I'd nursed through pregnancy I didn't have to deal with any of the nipple soreness and it was like she knew exactly what to do.

It was nice having Lana there to deal with the engorgement but I kind of pushed her into weaning after a couple weeks. It was rough for a bit (I nurse to sleep so there was a lot of crying when I didn't WANT to nurse her to sleep) but didn't last for too long. Naima nursed for a looong time.. a couple months ago was the last time. For the last probably year or year and a half she only nursed at night. She was fine away from home without it but would scream if I wouldn't let her when she was with me going to sleep. It was just for comfort, though- I haven't had milk in about a year or more.

I'm definitely looking forward to nursing a little one again! I love the breastmilk breath smell too, lol!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #44
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Should I start pumping a week before to establish supply?
I wouldn't think so. Your body's not programmed to produce milk until after birth. Their stomachs are sooo small (like the size of a grape) that the small bit of colostrum you make until your milk comes in after a few days is plenty to keep them satisfied.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #45
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, sorry for ANOTHER post, but Luke bid on a big job today- $6000, with about $4000 being profit. It would take him 8-10 days to do it, so prayers that he gets it please!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #46
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will be breastfeeding. I exclusively pumped for dd for 4 mths and really don't care to do that again, so I am planning to work harder to make it work this time. I am also hoping that DS is better at it than DD was. We never really figured out the latch thing. However. I will not drive myself nuts trying to make it work. If we end up bottle feeding, then so be it.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #47
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dad is in the hospital. he is going to be having triple bypass surgery sometime wednesday. he has had bypass surgery before, back in 2001. he is only 52, but heart problems run in the family. I'm going to see him and mom tomorrow, just to be there and help my mom think. she is a detail freak, so it is not that she needs the help to think about things, more like NOT to think about things and just take a break.

so, I've got to finish a couple things quick, then get stuff ready for tomorrow for hubby. so glad he is off tomorrow so I can visit...somehow bringing a 3.5 and 1.5 year old does not sound relaxing.
heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #48
mommyof2wildboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will be breastfeeding as well

DS1 nursed until 12mo or so, but also had bottles while I was at school. I tried to pump but was unable to get enough milk so he usually had formula while I was away at school.

DS2 nursed until 14mo. Never had any formula and self weaned.

DD nursed until 15/16mo. Never had any formula and self weaned.

The only problems I ever had were thrush, went through it with all 3, it was the worst with DD. And mastitis, I had it several times with DS1
mommyof2wildboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #49
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD nursed on and off for a year. Exclusively for the NICU and three weeks after, then I started chemotherapy and had to stop. After my last treatment and when I felt up to it I started pumping to relactate and establish supply, I had to wait 40 days after my last treatment to clear my system and she started nursing again at 4 months until a year. At which point we were both done. I used a SNS when she first started again.

I plan on bfing without interruption this time.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #50
estradaamyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hugs Naomi!!! I'll be sending tons of positive thoughts your way.

I'll be breastfeeding too. Izzy was breastfed until 9 months. I got an ingection and had antibiotics so I had to stop abruptly. She had taken bottles of breastmilk from Dad and was fine. June just weaned a week or so ago at 13 months. I don't think there was anything left for her. I've been supplementing her with formula for 2-3 months. Both girls had no problems at all, it was just me. I'm really hoping to have one kiddo make it to at least a year!
estradaamyl is offline   Reply With Quote