Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
mari.b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Logistics of family cloth?

DH and I both use them (though he still prefers TP and I buy it as a treat for him ) for #1 & #2. We have a small basket that sits on the back of the toilet with clean wipes (somewhere around 75 altogether maybe?) and a smallish wetbag that snaps onto both sides of the toilet paper roll and hangs below the TP. I wash them with diapers. And I really like my wipes about 4-5" x 4-5" - both of us like them smaller so that they are more like TP.

Advertisement

Baker's Bargain Boutique - my little piece of ebay
mari.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

I am the only user in our house. DD is still in dipes, and DH just gave me a blank stare when I told him what my newest green endeavor was.

I have FC in two bathrooms, in our master bath they sit in an old disposable box, and I have a small bucket that sits next to the toilet for the dirties. Not ideal. Going to get some small wet bags SOON.

In the powder room I have FC in a basket next to the toilet (out of sight, between toilet and wall). This is the room I use to clean and store dirty dipes, so I have a big wet bag and a bucket that I alternate using.
BreakDanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

I don't know that I really count as far as the family thing anyway. DH doesn't use it, while me and DD (3.5 years) use it for everything. We have baskets on the back of the toilet to store the clean ones and then put the used ones into a wetbag that hangs off the toilet paper holder.

When we had diapers they were washed together.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesofgrace View Post
DH and I both use family cloth. Our daughter still wears dipes, and I'm not sure what I'll do when she's potty trained. I think I will train her with TP and gradually work towards FC when she's a bit older and is able to understand that FC only is used at home (not public bathrooms, etc).

We also keep our FC stacked on the back of the toilet. I had a WAHM custom make them with fabrics that match our bathroom, so they blend in very well. My mom and sister are easily grossed out by my crunchy ways, and they have not noticed at all!

We keep our diaper pail in the bathroom (it's a small kitchen trash can with a flip top), and this is where we toss the dirty FC. It's within perfect reach of the toilet! When the pail is full, I just pull out the wetbag that we use as a liner and toss the dipes and FC into the wash. We use a small wetbag by Blue Penguin, which was purchased at Green Mountain Diapers. I love it, because it's very hard to find a wetbag that fits a smaller trash can.

We have about 25 FC and 2 wetbags that we alternate.

HTH! :0)

Not sure why you wouldn't just go with FC right off the bat. I think starting with TP and then switching would be more confusing. Just my

To the OP, my DS, DH, and I all use FC for #1 and #2. My DH was not into the idea at first but one I convinced him to try it he realized it's way nicer than TP.
We keep our FC in a basket on the back of the toilet and I have a small wetbag (holds about 1/3-1/2 of our stash) hanging next to the toilet, and another larger wetbag hanging next to our regular laundry basket just outside the washroom.
My DS has been out of diapers for about 6 months now, so I no longer have diaper laundry. When the FC was just getting used for my #1's and DS's #2's I washed the FC with towels. Now that DH and I use them for #2 as well, I wash the FC by itself.
I'm not sure how many FCs we have right now but I think it's between 20 and 30. It's not enough though.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari.b View Post
DH and I both use them (though he still prefers TP and I buy it as a treat for him ) for #1 & #2. We have a small basket that sits on the back of the toilet with clean wipes (somewhere around 75 altogether maybe?) and a smallish wetbag that snaps onto both sides of the toilet paper roll and hangs below the TP. I wash them with diapers. And I really like my wipes about 4-5" x 4-5" - both of us like them smaller so that they are more like TP.
I like em smaller and more like TP too. I really don't like my Small Wonders wipes because not only are the pretty large (requiring them to be folded) but they are pretty thick. Once I fold one it ends up being nearly too thick to even hold onto! Even the travel sized ones are too thick. I actually kinda like my cheap thin terry BRu ones a lot, because even when I fold them they're still pretty thin.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 7 and everyone uses it. We've only been using FC for a few months...but we will never go back to tp. My 2nd youngest was 3 when we started it, she knows not to flush or throw them away but sometimes she uses them and then puts it back into the clean basket.
When we go to a friends or relatives house, she will wrinkle up her nose and in a low voice say " mom, they have toilet paper!" like it is something they should be embarrased about. It makes me laugh because I don't want anyone to know we use fc and she thinks were so much more fortunate than others because of it! Thats funny considering I started the family on FC because we were so broke we couldn't buy tp. I figured up that we would save $30-$40 a month by using FC. So we went for it.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
BreakDanzer
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbit View Post
I like em smaller and more like TP too. I really don't like my Small Wonders wipes because not only are the pretty large (requiring them to be folded) but they are pretty thick. Once I fold one it ends up being nearly too thick to even hold onto! Even the travel sized ones are too thick. I actually kinda like my cheap thin terry BRu ones a lot, because even when I fold them they're still pretty thin.
I like my thin BRU cloths too. Target makes some that are actually thinner, and I like those best. Funny what preferences are for size. I just went to a consignment store and found a wet bag that will fit and go perfectly in my master bath.

Now, my plan is to get one for the powder room, and try to get DH in on it too.
BreakDanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Rebeldream
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love how our bathrooms are set up because there are small drawers right next to the toilet, easily reachable. The FC (2 dozen in each bathroom, but adding another dozen or 2 to each in the near future) is in the drawer and each bathroom has two wetbags that we alternate between. They just hang from an arm of the TP holder.

I use them myself, I use them on my DS, my almost 9 year old DD prefers them, and I think my husband uses them but he hasn't said anything and I haven't asked. I used to wash them with the diapers but since DS pl'd, I just wash them with the towels.

Swagbucks Pre-PL'ing Diaper Stash My Love of Cloth Rebel MCloth Tutorial
Rebeldream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Everybody uses them, we rinse them out in the sink after use and toss in a plastic bucket under the sink, and I wash them with the normal laundry. Super easy, nothing special.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #20
Amatullah
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thought I would add, we don't use family cloth, but use maybe <1 roll of TP per month or two (unless we have a cold going around, since we use TP for noses too) We only sometimes use TP, but usually use just water. We keep a small bucket(more like a watering can) next to the toilet.
Amatullah is offline   Reply With Quote