Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Just starting...adopting only your own race for family support?

This is such a hard issue for our family. My DH and I thought we were completely open to adopting any race, but our first foster placement was two hispanic girls, and the comments and reactions from our family were awful. The were cute little girls, but we heard nasty comments about them, and family kept asking when they were moving on. they didn't ask about them, and if I complained about being tired or stressed they made rude comments.

Our next placement was a Caucasian boy, and our family's reaction has been to gush over him, send him gifts and root for the adoption to go through. Sigh.

So, after that horrible experience, we decided we will foster whomever we are want, but will only consider adoption within our race. We currently have a 5 week old aa baby in our care, and it is killing me to know that I will have to let her go- I am madly in love with her!

In summary, if you don't have family support, it makes everything hard. Consider carefully if you are willing to sever ties with people who will be unhappy about your adoption decisions.

My kids are 2, 3 and 5! Sleep and patience are in short supply.
The Green Sheep A Natural Parenting store FACEBOOK
I sew, too! Kenna's Felt Forest
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote