Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have a few questons...maybe I'll get some answers here

So Sunday night I found out I was pregnant with my third...a bit of a surprise, but welcomed. Anyways, I had been and still am nursing my almost 13 month old. Back in December I had like 4 days of some bleeding and then nothing since. I don't think/I am almost positive that I did not get pregnant back in December. That was just a little background story so to speak...now onto my real question...

Ok, so my real question is, I had been taking More Milk Plus by Motherlove to increase my milk supply because it had dropped (and now I know why it had). The only reason I had tested is because I thought there "might" be a chance that I was pregnant. My symptoms were decreased milk supply (and it was bad and I hadn't remember it being that bad with my ODS until I was PG with my second), sore nipples and then the "wierd" sensation "down there" from my lovely vericous veins I have gotten during PG. So obviously it was positive and now I am SCARED that there was something in the More Milk Plus that could have/will have harmed the baby. I had been taking it fairly regularly, but not 100% all the time. And since I really don't know how far a long I am, I have NO idea how long I had been taking it since I was pregnant. I am obviously NOT taking it now, but just am SUPER scared. It has fenugreek, blessed thistle, nettle and fennel in it.

What do all of you mama's think? I don't have an appt with my midwife until May 13, but they did check my progesterone and HcG level because I have had 3 miscarriages due to low progesterone. They said my levels were 45 for my progesterone and 19,000 for my HcG. Per the midwives nurse she thinks I am probably like 6-7 weeks, but I had told her that when I lay down flat, it almost feels like I can feel my uterus just below my belly button (I am a nurse and have worked with postpartum moms so I know what a uterus feels like after birth). So I jsut don't know.

****I'm guessing that I could really be anywhere from 6-12 weeks, but not sure AT ALL

So I apologize for making a short story long, but just wanted to see what you mamas thought. Thanks and have a great day!

Advertisement

Last edited by newmommy929; 05-03-2011 at 10:38 AM.
newmommy929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have a few questons...maybe I'll get some answers here

I wouldn't think any of those would cause a problem as they are used in cooking and I don't remember being told to stay away from them.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, it is VERY normal with subsequent pregnancies for your uterus to feel higher than you would expect. With my second, I was nursing and had no idea how far along I was. The MW said it felt like 13 weeks, but it turned out I was only 9 weeks. I've heard tons and tons of stories like this and heard from MWs that it is very normal. That's not to say you aren't farther ahead, but that if you really are 6 -7 weeks, that would totally be a normal experience.

I do believe that fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy. BUT, that being said, there's really not much that can be done about it - just as if you had drank some wine or maybe were a smoker or something. It's not ideal, and of course I wouldn't *recommend* it, but all you can really do is stop taking it now (which I'm sure you have) and move forward from here. Lots of women have ridden roller coasters and drank some beers, or whatever, before they knew they were pregnant, and most of the time, it is totally fine.

Again, I am not trying to encourage these things or anything, just saying that it happens and is almost always fine. We can only do the best with what we know at the time, and try not to worry too much about it.

mama :-)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think everything will be fine. Yes some herbs are not recommended during pregnancy, but it is just like if you were smoking or drinking at the time of conception and didn't know and then you stop.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't include herbs that were contraindicated for pregnancy. Herbs really aren't nearly as dangerous as drugs or alcohol, anyway. THat's not to say that they aren't powerful and effective, but generally don't carry serious side effects/risks that prescription drugs do.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you found out something more than I have heard!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
PatsFan
Registered Users
seller

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

Fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy but like others have said I wouldn't worry at this point. If you are really worried call your midwife. Seems like everything is going fine though.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fenugreek is not recommended during pregnancy because it can cause contracts and in high enough doses is a natural labor inducer. As long as that hasn't happened (and it obviously hasn't) it has no other negative effect on the baby. The other ingredients are actually good to take while pregnant so no worries. I would obviously stop consuming fenugreek at this point though just in case.
Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .

Last edited by dornmama; 05-03-2011 at 05:10 PM.
dornmama is offline   Reply With Quote