Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How 'bout some castor oil success stories to get me in the mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole3567 View Post
I have tried it with all my kid no Dice, with this one I was 2 cm 70 % effaced. Im still pg
Good luck, mama! Hope you have your baby soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
It worked for my DD (or it could have been coincidence). She was 8 days past her due date (after 10 weeks on bedrest for pre-term labour) and I was ready to try a few tricks. I downed 2Tbsp and went into labour with her that night.

Problem was, the effects of the castor oil on my digestive system didn't kick in until after I had her. Post-baby perineum + castor oil liquid insides = one unhappy mama!

Try rubbing it on your belly first. I've heard it can do the same thing but without the unpleasant after effects.
Yikes. That sounds horrible. I'll look into rubbing it onto my belly, that's an interesting version I have not heard of before. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M'smommy View Post
My midwife just told me to use EPO at 39 weeks and insert 6 vaginally every night before bed. And have dh put them in so they can get all the way to the cervix. I haven't ever heard anything good about castor oil... Sorry not what you wanted to hear...
I did loads of EPO vaginally last time and had zero luck. I used a inserter wand from a OTC yeast infection kit to try to get it where it needed to be. I even used instead cups with it some, I think. I've been taking EPO orally and have wondered if that is what has helped me get to the point I'm at so far. I'd do it again vaginally, but I hated the next-day oily crotch and the weird smell. It's an icky smell, no? bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Semen - applied to the cervix or taken orally can help soften your cervix.

If you don't have a good bishop score induction (of any sort) won't work well.
Not interested in taking semen orally. At all. DH has got the "applied to cervix" part covered pretty well. Doctor recommended this method, too. I'd be happy if the castor oil gave me some contractions that improve my bishop score at this point, even if it doesn't send me into real labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formunkyfrommommy View Post
i just heard recently that the castor oil is a bad idea because it can cause the baby to release their bowels the same way it works in us.....i cant confirm that anywhere but it is something to keep in mind.....sorry hun i havent heard any real good success stories or good stuff about castor oil
I've read the same thing, but seems like most of what I read is that they don't know if the castor oil causes it or if the meconium is due to being post dates. Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemama86 View Post
I used castor oil to induce after my ds decided to be 2 weeks late... here's my story...
http://alifeofpeaceloveanddiapers.bl...s-of-pics.html
My midwives wanted me to drink a whole bottle of castor oil, but I was scared to do that, so I just drank it slowly until I had to "go" the 1st time, then I stopped after that. Labor progressed quickly and all was well. Good luck mama!!!
AWESOME! Thanks, mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusemom View Post
I've been thinking about taking some too, but I'm afraid of nothing happening and being miserable (not that I'm not already miserable at this point ). My doctor doesn't like to check if I'm dilated/effaced until I'm post dates, so I don't know how close I am.

I hope it works for you if you try it again!
Thanks! I hope you have your baby before you get miserable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoreta View Post
I took castor oil at 7pm Thursday night. DH left for work at 9 I started light contractions at 10 went into full on labor around 12:30am. He came home we tok our daughter to the hospital and I was in labor all day Friday and had DS on Saturday November 13th at 5:13 am. I was 2 weeks overdue with NO contractions at all! I did 2 ounces split into 3 "shots" chased each one with juicy juice berry! Don't try chasing with Pepsi!! I had bounced on my ball, walked, DTD, drank RRLF numerous times a day for weeks and wasn't even having fake contractions. Castor Oil is the only reason I went into labor!

Eta: I was like .5 cm dilated for 2 weeks, had my membranes stripped twice and wasn't effaced...also made me crap a LOT!!
Sweet!

I've had my membranes stripped at my last couple of appointments but then the doctor wouldn't do it today because he said he doesn't like to do it when the mama is GBS+, which I am, but that hasn't stopped him the last couple of times.

Advertisement

Jenn
Mom to two little boys

Last edited by jenndoxx; 05-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
cute_anarchy
Registered Users
seller

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your little one to show up! Good luck with the castor oil, if you go for it... blech!
cute_anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Make sure you take enough....tastes like melted lipstick which is gross but I was so sick and tired of my docs pushing me to be induced.
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
HollyBennett
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took castor oil with each of my girls. My first was born the following day after taking it on her due date. With her sister it did piddly and I ended up be induced at 41+1 weeks because my mom only had two days left of her vacation time and hubby was deployed. I wont be doing it again thats for sure. this little one can cook for as long as he desires. castor oil gave me terrible cramps and the runs. I was up every hour to go to the bathroom and my bottom hurt for days afterwards. I also didnt sleep at all and was exhausted before labor even kicked in. I dont recomend it.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 AM   #15
Argonaut8
Registered Users
seller

I tried it twice with my first. Still ended up with a medical induction.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #16
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took it with my both my girls after I had been having inconsistent contractions for two days. My midwife told me to mix it in with a banana and ice cream in a blender. It takes away the taste and have the banana to add in extra "bulk". Never had loose stools and had both babies within 24 hours. Again, I was already contracting and dilated at least 2 cm with 80% effacement.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

I was 41+6 with last dd,(no idea where I was dilation wise) bought some CO in the am took some around 8am, took another dose around noon, def had cramping and runs from it, but by 3pm had my first contraction. 7:21pm dd was born. Coincidence? Maybe, but danged if I won't do it again if I am overdue with this one!! GL!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_anarchy View Post
I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your little one to show up! Good luck with the castor oil, if you go for it... blech!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoreta View Post
Make sure you take enough....tastes like melted lipstick which is gross but I was so sick and tired of my docs pushing me to be induced.
Yeah, definitely not an appetizing flavor or texture I almost gave in to the induction yesterday (it would've been this morning) and came to my senses when I had to meet with the surgery scheduler. I'm only 40w2d today! There's still time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBennett View Post
I took castor oil with each of my girls. My first was born the following day after taking it on her due date. With her sister it did piddly and I ended up be induced at 41+1 weeks because my mom only had two days left of her vacation time and hubby was deployed. I wont be doing it again thats for sure. this little one can cook for as long as he desires. castor oil gave me terrible cramps and the runs. I was up every hour to go to the bathroom and my bottom hurt for days afterwards. I also didnt sleep at all and was exhausted before labor even kicked in. I dont recomend it.
sorry you didn't have a good experience. I did it last time, so I'm somewhat prepared for the malaise. I am just kinda hoping it will work this time since I have made a little progress already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut8 View Post
I tried it twice with my first. Still ended up with a medical induction.
Yeah, I won't be surprised if it doesn't work for me, but I figured it's worth a shot since I am facing an induction already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutandmunchkin View Post
I took it with my both my girls after I had been having inconsistent contractions for two days. My midwife told me to mix it in with a banana and ice cream in a blender. It takes away the taste and have the banana to add in extra "bulk". Never had loose stools and had both babies within 24 hours. Again, I was already contracting and dilated at least 2 cm with 80% effacement.
Wish I was contracting and 80% effaced! Wonder if I could just stir it into a Chick-fil-a banana pudding milkshake? I've been trying to justify ordering another one of those...yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andbabymakes2 View Post
I was 41+6 with last dd,(no idea where I was dilation wise) bought some CO in the am took some around 8am, took another dose around noon, def had cramping and runs from it, but by 3pm had my first contraction. 7:21pm dd was born. Coincidence? Maybe, but danged if I won't do it again if I am overdue with this one!! GL!
Haha! Since it didn't work for me last time, I was thinking I wouldn't bother, but man, I've already got the bottle of stuff, might as well take my chances!

__________________________________________________ ___________

Thanks for the input, mamas! I didn't do it last night because I had dinner at MIL's house and something upset both mine and DH's stomachs...thought I'd better wait. Maybe tonight?? Can't decide...

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #19
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would avoid it if possible. The first time I took 2tbs and it did nothing. No pooping or anything. Second time I took it my water had already broken and I was desperate to get labor going. So i took the whole bottle, which was about 4tbs. Still no poop (even during labor and pushing), but I did have agonizing, bowel twisting-type cramps along with my contractions. So yes, it did work, but it made my contractions unbearable. Also, my bum/intestines really hurt for a couple days afterward. On the plus side, labor was quick, about 5 hours start to finish.
Good luck! Hope you have your baby soon!!!
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #20
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did a castor oil milkshake (on midwife's orders) with my middle LO. It worked FAST (I was dilated to a 2 and 80% effaced to start and active labor ended up being LESS than 45min)...........and I never got the poo's.

FWIW, just be sure to mix the castor oil with a high fat item (I used haagan daaz ice cream) to help it bind so that you will actually digest it, rather than it just sliding right through you

Good luck!