Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Preventing hemorrhage in those who are susceptable?

Hi mamas!

I have had 5 vaginal births. As far as I know I did not hemorrhage with the first 3. I only found out that I hemorrhaged with my 4th because I asked the dr. at my 6 week check up why I felt SO awful after my birth and couldn't stay awake etc. despite having NO pain medication/intervention.

With my 5th it was a homebirth. My placenta partly detached right before the baby came out which caused excess bleeding. My midwives got it under control with a lot of pushing, a shot of pitocin (or 2?) and a shot of methergen.

I know that I am more likely to hemorrhage because this is my 6th birth, and obviously since I did with the last two I'm worried about it being even worse this time! I am having a home birth again. My midwife is about an hour away (maybe a bit more). My biggest fear is her not getting here in time and I birth fine, but then start hemorrhaging afterward with nothing to stop it! How would I even know I was hemorrhaging anyway?
Also, even if my midwife does make it here on time I want to be able to prevent hemorrhage! I'd absolutely love it if I didn't have to go through that!

So, what are ways that I can prevent it starting during pregnancy. I know to drink RRL tea, but how much/often?

Are there other things I can be doing/taking during pregnancy to "tone up" my uterus?

What about during the birth?

After the birth...if my midwife doesn't make it on time how can I tell if I'm hemorrhaging and is there anything I can do to stop it?

Is there something I should take right after birth to try and prevent it even if I'm not hemorrhaging yet?

I would love any advice you all have for me on this subject because it's a BIG deal to me. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Preventing hemorrhage in those who are susceptable?

This may have TO MUCH INFORMATION for some people so if your squeamish DO NOT READ!
My sister and myself have this problem too. Mine on my third and fourth and both of hers. I had 2 vag births and then 2 c-sec. I credit an excellent Surgeon on my 3rd as the only reason I didn't hemorrhage then. I "needed" a blood trans on my 4th, but urged them to wait as long as was okay before giving it to me and I managed to squeak by without one. My sister was told to wait at least 4 years between birth and getting pregnant but really she should never get preggers again to "help" avoid hemorrhaging after her last, because they had so much trouble stopping her hemorrhaging. Apparently waiting so long the uterus can return to "good tone" and contract down after birth more efficiently. This of course doesn't help you at all!!
I think the crucial question is how far away is the nearest Hosp. and discussing your fears with your midwife. As far as having it happen without the Midwife there--the only thing I know that helps clamp down the uterus is breastfeeding, but that didn't help Lu or I enough without extra meds. Maybe buy a breast-pump? But this wouldn't be as effective as the pit or meth. The Dr. for my 2nd vag birth, had the Nurse apply a TON of pressure on top of my Uterus (she was practically standing on me) and He applied "Internal" pressure using his fist vaginally (which you wouldn't think would hurt after a baby just came out but HOLY COW, was it PAINFUL!!) While a third injected the meds. It was incredibly painful, but it slowed the bleeding by putting a "tourniquet" in effect on the uterus. In an emergency That may help. Please be aware I am NOT A DOCTOR!! And this requires three people, one for baby and to call 911, one for internal pressure and one for external pressure.
After almost losing my baby sister, the only thing I can really advise is making sure you give your midwife PLENTY of time to get to you, preregister at your local hosp. in case she can't stop the bleeding, and to have people to help with kids and DH in the event of an emergency.
Good Luck and God Bless!
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Sonic7273
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had heard that taking a nail sized piece of the placenta and putting it in your cheek would help (say if the midwife is not there in time) because of the hormones, it is equivalent to a shot of pitocin. Not sure how true all of that is but may be helpful to look into?
Sonic7273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Have some shepard's purse tincture on hand. It is an herb that is known to help with post partum hemorrhage. If you look around online, you should be able to find dosing suggestions, as well as ways to recognize how much bleeding is too much bleeding.

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Well, I would start talking with your midwife now about your history and what can be done to prevent or minimize hemorrhage this time around. I would find out how much blood you actually lost and what your H&H were post delivery if you have that information. It is good that you recognize that as a grand multip you are at greater risk, especially given your history. Definitely work closely with your midwife and plan plan plan.

How far are you from a hospital? A severe hemorrhage is a medical emergency that requires more than a rumored herbal remedy. Women today still die from hemorrhage, even in hospitals where they have a greater ability to manage bleeding. You need to have plans for what to do if this happens to you. Be ready to transfer to the hospital and don't wait until the last moment to do so. IMO, your children's need for a live, healthy mother more than anything else.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Well, I would start talking with your midwife now about your history and what can be done to prevent or minimize hemorrhage this time around. I would find out how much blood you actually lost and what your H&H were post delivery if you have that information. It is good that you recognize that as a grand multip you are at greater risk, especially given your history. Definitely work closely with your midwife and plan plan plan.

How far are you from a hospital? A severe hemorrhage is a medical emergency that requires more than a rumored herbal remedy. Women today still die from hemorrhage, even in hospitals where they have a greater ability to manage bleeding. You need to have plans for what to do if this happens to you. Be ready to transfer to the hospital and don't wait until the last moment to do so. IMO, your children's need for a live, healthy mother more than anything else.
My midwife does know but I guess we haven't discussed it much yet because I'm not very far along (16 weeks). So plenty of time to talk about it. I'm a bit of a planner/OCD and love to have things in place long before most people are even thinking about it.

The nearest hospital is about 20 minutes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydaysunshine View Post
Have some shepard's purse tincture on hand. It is an herb that is known to help with post partum hemorrhage. If you look around online, you should be able to find dosing suggestions, as well as ways to recognize how much bleeding is too much bleeding.
I've heard of this but forgot! Thanks, I will look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic7273 View Post
I had heard that taking a nail sized piece of the placenta and putting it in your cheek would help (say if the midwife is not there in time) because of the hormones, it is equivalent to a shot of pitocin. Not sure how true all of that is but may be helpful to look into?
I've heard that too but it grosses me out. I would do it though if I needed too! So thanks for reminding me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
This may have TO MUCH INFORMATION for some people so if your squeamish DO NOT READ!
My sister and myself have this problem too. Mine on my third and fourth and both of hers. I had 2 vag births and then 2 c-sec. I credit an excellent Surgeon on my 3rd as the only reason I didn't hemorrhage then. I "needed" a blood trans on my 4th, but urged them to wait as long as was okay before giving it to me and I managed to squeak by without one. My sister was told to wait at least 4 years between birth and getting pregnant but really she should never get preggers again to "help" avoid hemorrhaging after her last, because they had so much trouble stopping her hemorrhaging. Apparently waiting so long the uterus can return to "good tone" and contract down after birth more efficiently. This of course doesn't help you at all!!
I think the crucial question is how far away is the nearest Hosp. and discussing your fears with your midwife. As far as having it happen without the Midwife there--the only thing I know that helps clamp down the uterus is breastfeeding, but that didn't help Lu or I enough without extra meds. Maybe buy a breast-pump? But this wouldn't be as effective as the pit or meth. The Dr. for my 2nd vag birth, had the Nurse apply a TON of pressure on top of my Uterus (she was practically standing on me) and He applied "Internal" pressure using his fist vaginally (which you wouldn't think would hurt after a baby just came out but HOLY COW, was it PAINFUL!!) While a third injected the meds. It was incredibly painful, but it slowed the bleeding by putting a "tourniquet" in effect on the uterus. In an emergency That may help. Please be aware I am NOT A DOCTOR!! And this requires three people, one for baby and to call 911, one for internal pressure and one for external pressure.
After almost losing my baby sister, the only thing I can really advise is making sure you give your midwife PLENTY of time to get to you, preregister at your local hosp. in case she can't stop the bleeding, and to have people to help with kids and DH in the event of an emergency.
Good Luck and God Bless!
That is really scary. Sorry y'all had to go through that.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Definitely talk with your midwife. 20 minutes is quite a distance in an acute situation, which blood loss can be. I might be willing to try herbal remedies if I were round the corner from a hospital and could get there in time, but if you are experiencing a significant blood loss, waiting to see if a remedy that isn't evidence based will work could cause you to lose precious time.

So, my ultimately suggestion is to have ongoing frank discussions with your midwife throughout the remainder of your pregnancy to make sure you are both on the same page as to exactly what constitutes an emergency. Make sure that your DH or other support people are part of those conversations too. People often birth at home because they do not want to be in the hospital (there are other reasons, but I assume this is why you are), yet there are circumstances that warrant being at the hospital. You and your DH need to be sure you know what signs and symptoms are okay and when it is time to call the squad. Once you know what to watch for, you will be better prepared and have more confidence in your ability to know when you are safe to be at home.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
PatsFan
Registered Users
seller

Can you labor closer to the hospital? In a hotel room or friend's home or heck- rent an RV & birth in the hospital parking lot LOL! I don't ordinarily think it's necessary but in your case it's an option.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll bring it up the next time I'm there and let her know how important it is to me.

I was about 15 minutes from the hospital during my last birth, so not too much different. I do agree though, it seems far in the event of an extreme emergency which is why I want to try so hard and prevent it.

I forgot to mention in my first thread that the first time I hemorrhaged (mild) I had been induced with pitocin. When I said no intervention I meant no drugs. So I do know that the pit increased my risk and could have been the cause. The second time (again-mild and this time I felt perfectly fine, no fatigue or dizziness or anything like that at all) the placenta pulled away a bit early probably due to him being sunny side up and trying to turn during labor. It was awfully painful. lol Anyway, I don't know if it's my uterus that is susceptable to hemorrhage or if these events caused the hemorrhage. Of course being multip the chance increases, but some women never have that problem. So I don't think I need to be in a hospital due to my history simply because they were both mild and caused by other events.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
wendow
Registered Users
seller

I also hemorrhage after delivery...with all of mine and to varying degrees. It was worst after my pit induced labors but did still happen with the others. This last pregnancy, I took RRL capsules because I just couldn't drink enough of the tea. They are 380mg and I took 4-6 a day beginning at 32 weeks. This was my mildest hemorrhage yet so I do think they helped but it did still happen. What about having a cytotec suppository on hand? Would your MW be willing to have that available for you to use yourself if need be?