Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: my nipples are cracked--- OUCH!

L's latch is lazy too - he just wants to slurp me right in and he does periodically, especially at night when we're side-lying and I can't see him well. I pull on his chin and lower lip to at least help because once he's on, he freaks like I'm taking away his prized possession. LOL, little boobie monster

To get him to really open up while he's rooting, I pull down on his chin and have him latch chin first. We're doing cross cradle mostly, but if you like to football hold, that's great for having them get on best - he just hates his legs getting squished behind me, even with my breast-friend pillow.

As for your nipple health, I'd been using Medela lanolin, which I find much more soothing because it's not hard like the lansinoh that you have to sort of roll between your fingers (so it's warm) to get it to spread on nicely, it's already liquidy and still safe for baby. I also have Soothies, but I find that they get stuck to me (ouch!) because I don't leak like I did with ds1.

Have you tried a nipple shield? My LC suggested that I try that if I end up with sore nipples again because of his lazy latch, but we're getting better.

Advertisement

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
haddockhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the tips mamas! We are definitely doing better this morning... Between airing out through the night last night, pulling down her lip/ chin and the c-hold (crystal, that site was super helpful) I can already feel a difference! Still painful to latch her on (which I know will be the case for a little while) but it's not hurtimg the entire time like it was.
I absolutely LOVE being able to get on here for advice. You all are the best!!
haddockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, our first few minutes of nursing, thrush or not, have been uncomfy to say the least. I know it'll get better - it's just pushing through. Thankfully Dh is extremely supportive this time.

GalleryBlogFan Page!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

We've been dealing with this too.

First, I found the cross cradle hold to be most effective. If he's nursing on my left breast I hold his head with my right hand and squish my breast like I'm holding a hamburger with my left hand. Supposedly this doesn't restrict the milk flow as much as if I was pinching it with forefinger and thumb. I wave my nipple around in front of his mouth until his opens really wide and then I push his head into my boob so he gets a good mouthful. It has helped SO much.

Also, can you get someone to write you a prescription for APNO cream? The hospital gave it to me as soon as they saw just a spot of blood. I didn't use it until they were actually blistered and cracked. The LC said it's great at healing things quickly but not to overuse it. It should also help prevent infection/thrush. When they're only mildly chewed up I've been using lanolin.

Also if you can get some soothies it does help with the pain between nursings.

I know how painful it is!
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartruiner View Post
Yeah, our first few minutes of nursing, thrush or not, have been uncomfy to say the least. I know it'll get better - it's just pushing through. Thankfully Dh is extremely supportive this time.
I've been experiencing this... at first I just thought it was leftovers of the shallow latch he likes, but now I'm pretty sure it's just painful letdown. It gets better after a minute or so and also doesn't hurt much when he nurses on the same side again quickly. And yay for a supportive dh! That helps so much.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He was supportive last time, but he's been really helpful this time, asking if I need anything, helping with ODS, etc. He really knows I want to succeed.

My let down isn't really painful, but it's the actual sucking back of the nipple. I know it'll be fine in due time

GalleryBlogFan Page!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #17
dill_partyof7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by purna079 View Post
use lansinoh every time. express bmilk , rub on nipples and leave to dry. take advil for the pain, and leave exposed to air as much as possible...dh likes that part

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
too funny about DH.

I am in the sore nipple boat here too. I didn't expect it as I thought I was a breastfeeding expert by now! For the first time, after 4 children, I have noticed scabs. I must have had cracks and not noticed. My right nipple is excruciating painful to nurse on, almost to tears. IT lessens as he nurses, but when he latches on- whew!

I am definitely buying some lansinoh, which I usually have on hand. I have been rubbing in a few drops of breastmilk. My husband is amazed that I am still nursing through the pain. I can see the admiration on his face. even though this is a new experience I know it will heal itself (right?)

In addition, I have super big nips- as soon as he opens his mouth, I pull down on his chin a bit to get his mouth wider and basically smoosh it in before he clamps down- he's so fast and greedy!