Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

tips for soon to be mommies from BTDT mommies

Just a few things I have learned from having 3 babies: These are my "while pregnant tips"

Stuff for Dr. appointments:
bring a pair of socks in your purse - sometimes the wait is long at the OB and sitting half nakey can get chilly (for those later appointments when they "check you")
Also - a snack just in case you get light headed - my ob will give me one if I ask - but a lot of times after laying on the exam table I will get lightheaded

Like mama always said - wear clean panties...I have pretty normal pregnancies but sometimes I have had to go to L&D for some concerns (or end of the day checks) and I always feel better when I have on clean socks and undies.

If you tell them "I don't feel as much movement" expect them to "jump on that" and check the baby out thoroughly...so don't use that statement lightly.

bring a comb - if you just laid down on the exam table then sit back up - you would be surprised how quickly you can get "bed head"

Feel free to tell people(strangers) that you are further along once you get within 4 weeks of your due date...if you say "oh I have 4 more weeks" they might say something TOTALLY RUDE like "WOW- you are already HUGE"...no need to endure that...just go ahead and lie and say "I was due last week"

And on that note...you will get huge...so start practicing which shoes you can get on without looking...and keep those handy...also the ones that are similar but different colors should all be put away - never fails you WILL put on one black and one brown shoe if given the opportunity

And either decide now if you are going to keep the toes painted or not...if you are keeping the polish - start teaching DH how to do it, or start budgeting for the visits...here soon you won't be able to find your toes.

And keep an extra pair of clothes in your car...the big belly is a MAGNET for anything you are eating or drinking out in public...especially the chocolate milkshake you keep tell DH that the bank is somehow messing with your bank account cause there is no way you have been through the drive thru twice in one day.

Any one else have some tips for our first time mommies....

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: tips for soon to be mommies from BTDT mommies

Last edited by sisu; 05-05-2011 at 12:59 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

WHERE WERE YOU when I was pregnant with DS?!?!?

And don't forget - map out the bathrooms in any pubic place you are planning to visit, you don't want to spend time looking for them when the need arises.

(For me, anyway) Keep a stash of granola bars and a bottle of water in the car, in your purse, at your desk, in DHs pockets.... ravenous hunger will strike at the most random and inconvenient times.

DO NOT make eye contact with strangers AT ANY POINT beyond 20 weeks unless you want to go through the whole routine - when you're due, what you're having, if the baby was planned, whether you can afford it, etc. etc. etc. (Yes, for some reason there are complete strangers that feel that these are appropriate questions!)

Start early to get DH used to the fact that he may need to shave your legs for you at some point, so that he is mentally and emotionally prepared when the need arises. You can't just spring something like that on the poor guy with no warning. Also, ease into talking about your mucous plug. Apparently this can be too much for first-time papas.

Last edited by sisu; 05-05-2011 at 12:59 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
jeanalamae
Registered Users
seller

Location: We are in the Navy but we are moving to Monterey CA in august!

hahahaha this is my first and I am 36w 5d and I LOVE the one about telling people you are further along than you are!!!
jeanalamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
WHERE WERE YOU when I was pregnant with DS?!?!?

And don't forget - map out the bathrooms in any pubic place you are planning to visit, you don't want to spend time looking for them when the need arises.

(For me, anyway) Keep a stash of granola bars and a bottle of water in the car, in your purse, at your desk, in DHs pockets.... ravenous hunger will strike at the most random and inconvenient times.

DO NOT make eye contact with strangers AT ANY POINT beyond 20 weeks unless you want to go through the whole routine - when you're due, what you're having, if the baby was planned, whether you can afford it, etc. etc. etc. (Yes, for some reason there are complete strangers that feel that these are appropriate questions!)

Start early to get DH used to the fact that he may need to shave your legs for you at some point, so that he is mentally and emotionally prepared when the need arises. You can't just spring something like that on the poor guy with no warning. Also, ease into talking about your mucous plug. Apparently this can be too much for first-time papas.
Oh yes - potties...I think that is the ONLY reason our maternity pants do not have buttons and zippers...EVERY pregnant woman has ran into a public restroom with her pants already working their way off before she gets the door closed - forget locking it...there is no shame in wearing a pad, in public, or at home..or even to bed...you will probably also at some point be laying in bed and contemplate whether it might just be easier to pee in the bed vs. whale rolling yourself out to waddle to the potty....new Daddies usually don't know your "water" can break several times during pregnancy...this would be a good time to break in the matress pads for the crib...just in case "your water breaks"

No- no mucous plug talk...and DO NOT mention that you might poop in the delivery room when pushing (it's all the same muscles)...better to just leave some things "unsaid" and never mentioned...

Also - right now go tear out the pages in your pregnancy books about waiting 6 weeks after baby to have sex...those husbands can be sneaky and if her remembers ANYTHING while flipping through your books THIS will be it!!.."Honey, the Dr. said at LEAST 12 weeks, sorry, I know, I wanna too"

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
tsavoie11
Registered Users
seller

Carry extra deodorant...everywhere, in pockets, the car, your purse, wherever.

Don't be afraid to pull down the paper sheet at your Dr.'s office when they make you sit there in half a gown for too long and you sweat so bad that the paper is stuck in your crack. Replace it quickly before they come in. They'll never know.

I also want to add...if you do in fact think your water broke in bed don't do the sniff test yourself!

Mommy to 4 princesses and my new little man
tsavoie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second Kylee: where were you when I was preggo with DS?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

expect pains in weird places that have nothing to do w/ your uterus or walking...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Angel89411
Banned

Those stretch marks you think you haven't gotten at 35 weeks pregnant are there. They are hiding on the underside of your belly. If you see DH coming at you with a hand mirror to prove it, use your death glare so you can maintain your hopefulness a little while longer....they creep up and out as the weeks go.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
Also, ease into talking about your mucous plug. Apparently this can be too much for first-time papas.
Its not just first-time daddies...I'm pregnant with our third and recently discovered that the term "mucous plug" makes my DH gag and totally freaks him out...somehow I guess it never came up the first two times? Now I will randomly send him text messages that say nothing but "mucous plug" just to make fun of him