Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: tips for soon to be mommies from BTDT mommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
OK, where were YOU when I was pregnant with DS???
Umm ... I don't know, how old is your DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepie View Post
That gave me a good laugh last night.

Here is my personal advice.

My first 2 were not breastfed, slept in cribs etc. I wanted them on a schedule, I wanted life easier for ME. My 3rd was mostly breastfed, but also supplemented, but we co-slept. With my 4th I breastfed exclusively and co-slept from the start. I offered the breast whenever he wanted it and never supplemented. He quit nursing barely over 2 years old.
All those years I was wanting more sleep, more ME time etc. I discovered that wanting those things made life more stressful for me and baby. When I just listened to my instincts (with the last one) and didn't worry about how much sleep I was getting, or when he would sleep through the night, or if he was getting enough "outside food" etc. I was happier, I got more sleep, and the bond I had with my baby is indescribable. It was definitely stronger than what I had with my others.
It's instinctive mothering, and it WORKS. Listen to YOUR baby, listen to your body, not other people or even your ped. People will always tell you that you need to stop nursing or supplement, you need to let him sleep in a crib (you'll spoil him and he'll sleep with you til he's 10 you know), you need to let him cry it out. You do what feels right to YOU. I can't stress that enough now. It is so important.
AMEN, MAMA! I tried to do everything "by the book" with DS: Breastfed with supplementation, slept in the bassinet in our room for 3 months, in the crib in his room from then on; weaned at 11 months ... etc, etc. I get "frowned on" now by well-meaning people for still BF'ing DD (at 18 months) and co-sleeping with her from day 1 (in a co-sleeper for the first few months and now in our bed half the night and in her crib in our room the other half) ... but DH and I get more rest (not to mention have a better intimate life) since we just relaxed and went with my instincts with respect to her.

Advertisement

Havah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, I feel like I have very boring pregnancies. I've always been able to shave my own legs, paint my own toes, and get my shoes on (assuming my feet aren't too swollen) without help. I don't mind talking to strangers about the baby and I've never gotten cold in the exam room.

Only thing I can think of is to be very selective as to what you take with you to the hospital (if you are going to one). Half the stuff I packed with my first I never used. And you have to lug it all back home, along with the new baby and whatever gifts/flowers/freebies you accumulate while you are there.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
marlamae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Loving reading this thread! it makes me laugh!

Great post ya'll!!

Last edited by marlamae; 05-10-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: opps, read op- my thing was an after birth tip
marlamae is offline   Reply With Quote