Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does this sound like preeclampsia?

I'm wondering if these symptoms sound like preeclampsia though it was with my last pregnancy. Ok, I had GD, and late one evening (37wks) I felt shaky and my blood sugar was probably low, but I still took my evening insulin and ate a snack. Not to much later I threw up, and throughout the night I had trouble keeping my blood sugar up. It dropped in the 30's as I threw up a couple more times. This caused me not to eat anything the next morning or drink anything, or take my insulin. I ended up having contractions about every 3 minutes probably from being dehydrated so I went in to triage. When I got to triage I had tons of protein in my urine. I don't remember what my BP was, but I think it must have been normal. They started pumping me full of IV fluids. I received at least two liters, maybe 3 liters. I had less protein, but I still had protein, and was still having contractions and the on call OB told the nurse to send me home. So I went home and the contractions finally fizzled out a few hrs later. I already had an appointment with my OB the next morning. When they weighed me I was 5lbs heavier than I was on Friday at MFM, though I had hardly eaten. I didn't mention it, but I was feeling fine, and went on home. The next morning, I woke up throwing up again so I called my OB. Since the day before we had discussed inducing later that week b/c it appeared baby wasn't growing my OB told me to go back to triage. I was also having contractions again. So when I get there my BP is up and down, and we had already decided I would stay, and my labor was augmented w/ pit and AROM. So, DD#3 was born later that day, but I was never officially told I had preeclampsia, but I'm wondering if this sound like it probably was preeclampsia? I'm just curious, b/c I'm worried about getting dehydrated and having protein in my urine again as I'm getting closer to my due date now.

Advertisement

Last edited by staceyroo77; 05-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Personally I don't think it sounds like preeclampsia but technically you don't have to have all the "text book" symptoms to be classified as a preeclamptic. Who knows?!

I'm a CDing, vaxing on schedule, bottle feeding mama
Mom2evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
iluvmyortiz1122
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this sound like preeclampsia?

Doesn't sound like it. I think you gained 5 lbs from being pumped full of fluids from the IV. And if your BP was good, then that's a good thing. Maybe it just had something to do with the GD, which I've never had nor know much about it.
I've also read that you're less likely to have Pre-E again unless you've got chronic HBP, so you *should* be safe : )

iluvmyortiz1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't see anything that would indicate you were dealing with preeclampsia.

Preeclampsia can indicated itself with - elevated blood pressure, protein in the urine, visual disturbances, hyper-reflexia, pain in the upper quadrant of the abdomen, severe headaches, edema, and sudden weight gain due to the edema.

Being dehydrated and spilling protein and/or ketones is very, very common of dehydration. Take care of yourself, stay hydrated and you should be just fine
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyortiz1122 View Post
I've also read that you're less likely to have Pre-E again unless you've got chronic HBP, so you *should* be safe
Unfortunately, it is the opposite

I wouldn't say probable, but it is very common for a woman to develop preeclampsia with subsequent pregnancies if she developed it with a previous pregnancy.

I dealt with it with both of my pregnancies.

Several things though to help or ward off preeclampsia are:

* A diet high in protein such as the Brewer Diet - 100 to 120g daily
* Taking a calcium and magnesium supplement
* Vit B6
* Plenty, plenty, plenty of water and a "stable" sodium intake
* Several herbs, including dandelion and mint
* Alfalfa
* Taking a fatty acid supplement with GLA such as evening primrose oil. Bonus points - EPO taking both internally and vaginally can help ripen and soften the cervix!
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!

Last edited by cinderella08; 05-05-2011 at 10:17 PM.
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, it sounds like you were on too heavy insulin, which would explain the vomiting and low sugars. With that, you lost fluids and got bh's and also your bp dropped (as it may due when dehydrated). The 5lbs was prob fluids from iv.

The ONLY indicator is protien in the urine, buts it's not uncommon to have a little towards the end of pregancy

Furthermore, sugars in the 30's are extremely dangerous and many would slip into a diabetic coma around 40... Personally I felt very sick when mine would drop in the 50's from too much gluburide

Last edited by tygr2410; 05-06-2011 at 02:17 AM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I figured if it wasn't preeclampsia, it was probably just really bad dehydration. The weight gain from all the fluids makes since, I had some pitting edema after DD was born, after receiving even more IV fluids. Thankfully my DH was very smart to wake me up to have me check my blood sugar that first night when I was throwing up. I had only got it back up to 60, before falling asleep. He decided to come wake me up and I checked it and it was in the thirties again. I'm afraid to think about what would have happened if he didn't think to wake me up.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

It doesn't to me either. I've had quite a few family members have it and it was a different experience.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

No it doesn't sound like it to me either...I had pre-e with my 1st and it wasn't anything like that.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
motherculture
Registered Users
seller

Follow the Brewer Diet with lots of protein. It sound like you could use a boost. I am guessing with three already that you have a lot to take care of. Really focus on yourself and what you eat. Nonfat plain yogurt with a bit of granola,nuts,and a dollop of honey 3-4 cups a day can be really easy. It will also keep your calcium up which is super crucial.
motherculture is offline   Reply With Quote