Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
jsnichols1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Arrow Update from yesterday - Anyone's Toddler Lactose Intolerant?

Hi Mama's!

I posted yesterday about DS (23mo's) waking after his nap every day and screaming his little sweet head off for 30-45 min. everyday. He's doing a similar act at night - about 1 1/2 hr's after I put him to bed every night. It's driving us all crazy, since I'm going to be induced on Friday!

(TMI) It occurred to me yesterday after I posted that he's been having problems with #2's - really hard rabbit-pellet like stools when he goes. So I ask DH - maybe he's just constipated? We decided to give him some juice (he really, really prefer's milk) and lay off the milk for the rest of the afternoon, just to get his little body 'going'.

Ladies, he was a totally different kiddo. He slept clear through the night without crying and I can't even begin to tell you how much happier he was all afternoon!

He was lactose intolerant when he was a baby and was on soy formula. He now LOVES milk though and probably drinks 2-3 gal a week by himself. I'm thinking now that #1, that's probably excessive (but hey, it's milk right? That shouldn't be a bad thing), and #2, his little belly must be reacting to the milk when he has it before he goes to sleep (he gets a cup before his nap and bedtime!).

Sooo....I called the Pedi and never got a call back. This is not the first time we've had issues so I think I'll be looking for a new one soon.

BUT, my question is:
1. Do you think I'm on to something here?
2. What should I give him to replace all of those good things that he's getting from milk? Is it ok to give a toddler Soy milk? What else is out there?

Thanks!
Sue

Advertisement

jsnichols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #2
fosterisacoolcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Update from yesterday - Anyone's Toddler Lactose Intolerant?

It is very possible you are on to something. Try switching to lactose free milk for a week, keep everything else the same, and if there is a change in BM then you for sure have a dairy issue. My daughter is three and is just now gettingto be able to tolerate milk. My pedi had told us that milk sensitivity can sometimes be outgrown. I, myself, am LI and Ihad tofigure it out as an adult by eliminating dairy for a week. Good luck!! wendy
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in the process of going through formal testing with my 16m old for lactose intolerance right now. The gastro. and I decided just to switch him to Lactaid while we wait, and it was a big help! He can have a few glassaed a day and still be fine. He still has sleep issues, but they are slowly getting better. The biggest difference with is was the disappearance of his green nasty poops! Almost overnight, it's been great! So far that's the only change we;ve had to make, although I notice if he has too much cheese they come back, so we just moderate what he eats! Good luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

With dd1 I had to avoid dairy when I nursed her. Then when she went to formula she had to get soy. When we started her on cow's milk she seemed ok at first but as she started drinking more she started with terrible diahrea. I now give her the Kid's Silk Soy. (its supposed to be fortified for kids). She loves it and our ped says its fine for her to have the soy rather than cow's milk. She eats other dairy products she just can't handle a lot of dairy.

Its not going to hurt to try taking him off dairy and see how things go.

Best of luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 2 kids who have dairy/lactose problems.

With Asha it took us longer to figure out. She was extremely constipated and refused to go. When she would have milk she you could literally watch her stomach get bigger as she drank it. My youngest was LI through testing and we started to wonder about Asha. We cut down her milk and her constipation got better, her moods improved(she has the emotionable stability of a cracker) and her stomach shrank. After a couple of months we cut her milk down to 3oz a day. She's 6 now and rarely get that a week.

Quote:
What should I give him to replace all of those good things that he's getting from milk?
There really are no good things in milk unless they're drinking raw milk. any of the vitamins and such in milk are killed off during pasteurization so they add in artificial ones. They get the same thing from taking a vitamin.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kids can definately outgrow it & at different rates. my first dd was diagnosed after 3mos of pure HELL! She was on soy formula the rest of the time & switched to regular milk at age 1, no problems. DD 2 was on soy from the get go, switched her to lactose free at about 7mos, at 1yr she was still unable to have regular milk & was actually unable until this past august at just over 5yrs old. DD 3 was also on soy from the get go, tried lactose free & that was just as bad as regular milk, so at 1yr she drank soy milk till 15mos & then lactaid from 15mos-21mos when she was able to tolerate regular milk.

Oh & I was fine with milk until I was pg with dd#2 & I'm now lactose intolerant
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowynne View Post
Oh & I was fine with milk until I was pg with dd#2 & I'm now lactose intolerant
I became lactose intolerant when I had to cut out dairy when bf'ing dd1. I was a huge dairy lover before that. After I started adding it back in I oculd handle it again. But I really felt bad for dd when I realized how awful it makes your tummy feel
Old 03-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Milk can cause the constipation. When ds and dd had constipation issues the ped. asked about how much milk they were drinking. Ds was drinking a lot, but cutting down really didn't help. Dd had problems with constipation issues before she ever started drinking milk, so that wasn't the cause for her either.

Dd is supposedly lactase deficient, as determined by her endoscopy. She has no sympoms, though her GI said that even though she feels fine, she might feel better without lactose. So we cut out milk, gave Lactaid or soymilk, etc. The soymilk ended up causing bad diarrhea, and dd got tested for parasites, etc. When we went back to milk the diarrhea went away. Of course now we are back to horrible constipation.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
southernmom2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know we just started this with my 2.5r old. She was nursed exclusively til 6 months. Then we switched to milk based formula and nursed part time. No issues. She started goats milk at age 1. No issues. Switched to regular cows milk at age 2 and all heck broke loose. Diarrhea (like rotovirus) and it was GREEN, vomiting like every other day. Got her tested, came back slightly lactose intolerant. Switched to Lactaid and all is well again. Why now? Who knows!!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Noniegrace
Registered Users
seller

I'd get him checked out, for sure.