Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Preschool Question

Okay..this might be long and all over the place..but try to bear with me

I would *love* to homeschool, but I think that Kain would *LOVE* a preschool setting...SO...I've been looking for/at preschools for maybe 6 months. There's one here that's free (for low-income families - we actually make more than their cut-off, but they have 10 spots for children who don't meet their guidelines)...and it's all day every day just like regular elementary school, which I'm not fond of. We have to apply and probably won't get a spot since we make too much and there probably aren't any spots left. So I've been looking at other preschools and they've all been wayyyy too expensive ($65/week). I found one last week that's only $65/month. That's right up our alley. Anyway, I'm getting off track here. This is my dilemma...I think that he'd LOVE it and do really well and benefit from it tremendously...not only 'academically' (like..learning things)..but I think he'd benefit from it in his every day life..at home, whatever. My problem is...he'd have 2 yrs of preschool before Kindergarten because his bday isn't until January and he'll miss the deadline. I asked the $65/mo preschool what their curriculum is and she described it...and he already knows 80% of that stuff. I'm afraid that if he goes to preschool for 2 yrs, he's going to get real bored and then I'll be creating a situation where he's going to be bored in elementary school. I think if his bday were in December (before the end of the year), he'd be able to take an entrance exam and go ahead and start school after only 1 year of preschool...but since it's in January, I don't think that's an option.

So....anyway....I really want him to start preschool (not for me, but for him) but I don't want to set him up for failure either....kwim?

What do you guys think? (Opinions are wonderful, flaming..not so much ) Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preschool Question

WEll, my ds did 2 years of preschool and 1 year of nursery. His b-day was in March and because he was fully pl'd at age 2 he was allowed to go to nursery school at 2 1/2 (2 2 hour days) and preschool when he was 3 1/2 (2 3 hour days) and 4 1/2 (3 3 hour days). He knew more than they taught but he loved going and the soacial interaction was what he needed/wanted more. Byt he time he went to Kindergarten at 5 1/2 he was way ahead of the game. He's now 12 and while he has been bored here (never constantly) and there he's never had a situation occur from it. He's now in Jr. and never bored with school.

My dd is 4 1/2 and due to start Kindergarten in the fall. This year I sent her to a preschool that is 2 2 1/2 hour days) and it's been "ok" for her. She seems to be ready for Kindergarten (as in wanting to go, ect.) but I don't think she is emotionally mature enough. I am now wishing she would've done preschool last year as well. So, I am about 75% sure she will go to preschool next yera and start Kindergarten when she is just turning 6. I know she will be older and also a bit upset but we have to do what's best for our children.

Personally I think 2 years of preschool is awesome, gets them ready to go without pushing them in too fast. I am not for all day preschool or Kindergarten at all, I think kids only get to be young once and there is no need to rush. Think of all the years of schooling they have ahead of them.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
feb0306mommy
Registered Users

My DS1 goes to preschool 2 days a week 2 hours per day. He loves it. He has made some friends that he will eventually go to public school with. It has been good for him, not that he was really lacking before. He has just really come out of his shell more. We pay $51.50/month. Next year he will go 3 days a week 2 hours per day, it will be $68.00/month.

I would caution against the free preschool if you don't meet the requirements, because a friend was going to send their DS to one and since they made more than the cutoff, he was going to be considered privledged!!! So they said no way and sent him to my DS's preschool.

I didn't mean for this to turn in to a novel, but I hope it helps!!

Jennifer
Old 03-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
HoneyDoMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Preschool has been great for my son. He did "nursery school" when he was three, which is much different than his preschool is, now that he is 4. My son really needs to get out of the house and interact with other kids. He gets very bored here at home (especially in the winter). It's not that I am boring, because i am a ton of fun. Much of the nursery school stuff he already knew. It was just more of the interacting and the fun. Plus, I like that it helped to ease him into a "classroom" setting (sitting in a circle, walking in line, following directions, getting along with lots of different kinds of kids, on and on). It was different than his daycare (which he was in all day). Daycare was more of just playing and such. This was more "academic" (in teeny kid sense). My son comes home happier. It's also really nice for him to have friends other than the neighbors. Personally, my son has gained tremendously from nursery school and preschool. Of course, I teach him things at home (I'm a teacher), but it's nice to have someone else teaching him things as well. He seems very excited to share these things with me. I have never regretted sending him.

no rocks from me, mamma.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Every child in my family has done 2 years of preschool and had no problems.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

what is the hours for the 65/month one??
is it all day everyday??if its not everyday maybe just take him 3times a week and HS the other 2 days???
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

oh!! there is no HS groups in your area??
you want DS to have social interactions?? what are your set goals??
would this PS help him in other things , like reading instead??? or does he have to adhere to their curriculum?? he can get bored if he knows all that stuff already
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm going to talk to the free program tomorrow, because I think they'll probably know more about the elementary school that he could go to (and when he could enroll). I think we'll probably go with the $65/mo program, because it just seems better IMO. And it's only 3 days a week. Actually, they've got a couple of options. They have 3 days/morning classes, 3 days/afternoon classes, & 2 days/morning classes. I really wanted the 3 day wk/morning classes, but apparently it's already full (for the fall! i'm so surprised at this, lol...i had no idea it was that HOT of a thing). So I went ahead and registered him for the 3 day/afternoon classes. I can back out, but my registration fee is non-refundable (which isn't a big deal). It'll just be 12:30 to 3:30 mon, tues, & wed. Then he does gymnastics (which he LOVES) on fridays at 10a. I think you guys have settled my fears and made me more confident in what I'm doing Thanks so much. You ladies are my go-to women!

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 03-28-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammar
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mmm .. .all I can say is wow! wish dd's preschool is that cheap! We pay $650/mo for 5 days a week; lunch & snakcs are included.

Anyways, I would say, it depends on what you want from the school. I've always believed that school is just that school. It's a place of learning, but the most fundamental learning comes from home. In other words, yes, the teachers will teach the kids some things, but it's really up to the parents to follow through and make sure that the know it and understand it, kwim?

When I sent my dd to preschool, she knew everything they were academically learning. She was lacking social skills. She knew how to get along with kids when I was there...but she didn't know how to cope when I wasn't. She would get into situations where the other kids are taking away her toys and she was so used to me stepping in and telling the other kids, no don't do that, that she didn't know how to handle the situation herself. Preschool was where she really learned how to do that.

Like I said, I think it depends on what you're looking for. I wanted my dd in a preschool setting early b/c I know that I WON"T be homeschooling her. So to me it's very important that she get used to listening to the teachers and following directions when I'm not there. If I WERE to homeschool her, I would probably be looking more at a Montessori preschool than a structured one.

mama!
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is on her 2nd year in preschool and she loves it!! DS will do the same when he is old enough. He's already signed up!