Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Has anyone adopted from a family member in a different state??

There is a tiny chance that DH and I might be able to adopt my step-sister's baby. We just found out she might be considering adoption. I am not sure when she is due. Just wondering what the process is like and if there are any good websites out there for relative adoption info. Especially info about it involving 2 different states. TIA.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Has anyone adopted from a family member in a different state??

There are many ways to do it and the best way is to talk to an private adoption attorney in your state and find out her/your state laws and see what way is best to handle it. It usually isn't a big deal but if you cross state lines with the baby, you may need to do something called ICPC which can take between a few days to a few weeks with 1-2 weeks begin on average and you just have to camp out in her state/birth state for that time after birth. The attorney puts in the paperwork. (or you can use an agency but its more $$$). Usually you will need an home study but sometimes it can be done afterward since its a relative (as the ICPC can be waived/worked around but you want to check and make sure its all legal).
Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
seller

The icpc looks like a nightmare from what I've seen. If she decides to chose us, I'm ready. I guess I'll locate an adoption attorney here just in case we get that call.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ICPC is not bad at all, it is just a waiting game. The paperwork gets submitted and you can't take to the child to your home state until the paperwork is approved by both states. We planned on it taking a couple of weeks for DD, but it was done in about 10 days. The funny thing is that if you have permission you can travel with the child, just not to your home state. DD was a private adoption from an ajoining state.

We also have the slight possibility of adopting my step-cousin's baby from another state.
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

Its not a nightmare and not a big deal. It was bad for us but everything was "bad" for us but we made it through so it can be done and it was bad because the attorney would not check on it and they tell parents not to call so we got stuck for an extra unnecessary week. If done right, its not a big deal. I used to do the paperwork all the time and could do it without thinking at one point.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
seller

That's good to know about the permission to travel. The airport we use is 20 miles into another state.
I'll have to ask the attorney about the permission to travel thing.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

You can leave, but the baby can't until permission. We were 90 minutes from home and I was not leaving without my child. My husband commuted back and forth to work and went home once. I ended up having to buy more clothing at the only store/walmart as we didn't know what was going on and didn't bring enough. I could have gone home for a few hours while my husband was with our son but NO WAY.