Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Frustrated!! Any advice?

I'll start from the beginning, although DS is almost 6 weeks now.

@ the beginning, he had difficulty latching because he always (and I mean always) stuck his tongue to the roof of his mouth. There was no getting past it. So the lactation consultant in the hospital set me up with a nipple shield to train him to keep his tongue down.

At about 3 weeks, I began weaning him off of the nipple shield. It was slow going, but I got him off of it by the end of that week.

At around 4 weeks, I figured out that he was biting me (and btw there was never a 'good' latch up to this point) because of OALD, and worked to decrease the supply a little so he would stop biting me and stop choking 3+ times per feeding and stop throwing up a lot. I switched to only use 1 breast per feeding and those two problems pretty much vanished.

At 5 weeks DH gave him a pacifier while I was at the dentist. Surprisingly, the MAM pacifiers seemed to *improve* his latch ability rather than hurting it!

When I feed him now, he cries before latching like its a hassle for him. Then he gulps down most of the supply from one breast in about 5 minutes and either falls asleep or starts screaming. I then burp him and return him to the same breast (because of the OALD). As of yesterday I started putting him onto the second breast as well, and I think he does the same thing again, gulping down most of the supply in 5 minutes, and either falls asleep or starts screaming again.

Do you ladies think I need to increase my milk supply again now? Because I just got him to stop choking and screaming because of OALD at the beginning, but now he's screaming about slow flow or lack of milk? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Advertisement

DKBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Seretesi8878
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Frustrated!! Any advice?

I dont know if this will be any help but my son does the same thing. It takes him literaly five minutes to eat one side. He cries afterwards but than i burp him and give him a few minutes and if he still cranky than i give him the other if e seems satified a just pump the other side and start my milk stash.

Is he gaining weight like normal? If so than I wouldnt worry about needing to increase your milk supply. How long does he scream after you feed and burp him on that one side?

I read on another post than did some research the right after a baby eats it takes a few minutes for the message that their full to get to their brain so they will scream right afterwards thinking they are still hungry. Thats why I wait a few minutes before popping the other side in. I don't know if that helps at all lol. hopefully you can get some better input.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great job on overcoming so many problems. That's really awesome. I'm glad that the pacifier helped improve his latch. But I think it may have created another glitch. Offering a pacifier kind of fools the baby into thinking he's full and in a way replaces a feeding. So due to the pacifier your body may be making even less milk then you intended just because the baby isn't nursing quite as much.

I hope that helps.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Kocho, thanks for the reply. Yea, I definitely didn't want to give him a pacifier... but I needed a root canal and DHjust couldn't handle DS alone for an hour and a half / But you're right, he was having small feedings about 14x a day before, now its only 9x a day.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
DKBee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Seretesi, its good to hear that its not just me lol. I think our boys may just be binge eaters! But in all seriousness, he is gaining well. He was small @ birth (5th percentile) and drs appt yesterday had him in the 21st percentile! Normally after I feed and burp him on the one side he will scream until either I get him latched again, or until I put him up on my shoulder or across my chest upright facing me. So I'm not sure if he just wants to be held upright afterwards maybe? The thing that confuses me is that he will sometimes continue to root, but refuse the breast! Ah, the joys...

Thanks for your thoughts about it maybe taking a few minutes for the message that they are full to get to their brain and waiting a bit to try the other breast. I'm going to give that a try.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That sounds pretty normal. It could just be a burp or gas. My strategy with my newborn was to just keep trying different things until I figured out the problem.

Good luck!

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Seretesi8878
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son will continue to root and refuse the breast as well. I really just think honestly he is interested in his hands in my opinion. But as long as his weight is doing good i honestly wouldn't stress too much about it.

And my son does the same things unlatched than cries until i either relatch him or bring him up to me and he sees me. So i definitely understand and it can be frustrating. Also you can kind of tell if they are full by how aggressive their sucking is. I know at first my son is very aggressive on getting food the first few minutes than he starts to "play" suck and thats how i know its time to burp.