Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: bfing a squirmy and fussy newborn - HELP!

Give it until 6 weeks old. It's like magic, it really does get easier then. But if you get to 6 weeks and still are unhappy, switch to formula. And don't feel guilty. It's a lot to adjust to, being a new mom!

Also, you should contact a lactation consultant. They can look at your baby eat and help you out. And they can do an intake check (weigh before and after a feeding) so you can see how much your baby is getting at the breast. Best of luck!

Advertisement

kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Hudson'sMama
Registered Users

Our son is 6weeks old and he does that when he has slept thru feedings...so I agree with everyone else, she is just TOO HUNGRY!! Our son is bad to sleep 4 or 5 hours at night and wake up fighting me...I literally have to force his little head to my breast and then he calms right down. It also helps for me to sing to him/hmm to him. Good Luck Momma!
Hudson'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Aw, hugs! I will pray for you too - you want the best for your baby and a happy mommy is almost always best for baby.
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Seretesi8878
Registered Users

My Mood:

First off, don't feel bad if you have to formula feed. I formula fed my daughter after two weeks because she just could not latch on right (same with bottles). But I would try to make it to at least six weeks like everyone else has said. My son is about 8 weeks and he still squirms a bit but not as bad as he used to the first few weeks. Definitely try swaddling I did that with him every time it was time to eat until he got a little bit better. I know each week for the first few weeks i had to really push myself to breastfeed. Sometimes I still get upset when he's upset and want to quit.

Also wait at least 4 weeks before introducing bottle. I made the mistake of introducing a bottle a week after he was born and had a hell of a time getting him back to liking breasts.

As far a a fast let down I know when my let down is strong because its really painful and he actually chokes (and he moves and sprays in his face lol!). If its a strong letdown than you can pump for a few minutes on each breast so its not so strong. anyway good luck mama!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So sorry. We are in the process of the same struggles, so I feel for you. Our son is 3.5 weeks old now. We have seen multiple lactation consultants and things are finally getting better. We had a lot of the same issues. If you choose to stop breastfeeding, no judgement, but did want to offer what helped for us.

1) Jack Newman's nipple cream. You need a prescription from your doctor and get it at a compounding pharmacy. It has lessened my nipple pain to a place where I don't dread nursing as much. You use it after every feeding.

2) The "biological" position. I lay baby in between my boobs on my chest, recline slightly in my rocker, and then shift him to teh boob I will feed him from. I need to pump for a minute or two first to avoid him getting rushed with milk and chocking, but this position has made me SO much more relaxed and I can see his eyes, which makes hte process nicer for me. THe latch still hurts, but the feeding isn't so bad.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
arhodes728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mommas!

sorry for my meltdown a couple of days ago. it was a rough afternoon - lots of screaming, pushing me away, unlatching, relatching... it was a mess and i thought i was going to run out the front door.

since then i've quit and gone back twice, within a few hours of feeding her formula.

so here's what's happened - i ended up quitting that night. i pumped until midday the next day (yesterday) and bottle fed her expressed milk but then i realized i couldnt keep up with pumping and take care of her while she was awake and crying so i broke down and had my MIL come over and make formula for me. i was relieved at first because i didn't have to dread feedings and stay up all day trying to find time to pump. but within a few hours, i felt awful about it. she took to the bottle great, but she drinks from it so quick and she's a comfort sucker that once she's done unless she is super tired, she's crying and putting her hand in her mouth or (the real tear jerker) putting her mouth up to my nipple while im holding her. i lost it when she did this. i knew she needed the comfort of being able to nurse on me, not an artificial nipple. i went back to breastfeeding that night. my husband sat with LO and i on the couch for 2 hours latching and relatching her, trying to get her to latch on right and to drink. we made some progress and finally got her to sleep around 1030. the middle of the night feedings were rough - my mistake, i should have woken her up and not let her sleep - she will sometimes sleep 4 or 5 hours at a time. i was so exhausted and she was so hungry and fussy that i quit again. i gave her to my husband and had him feed her a bottle of formula. he gave her an early morning bottle and let me get some rest. as soon as i woke up, i felt this heavy burden on me again. i didn't want to give up on bfing but i felt like i didn't know what else to do. i took one look at her and started sobbing. i've been bfing all day since her 5 am feeding. i'm trying to wake her and feed her every 2 to 2.5 hours. she's still fighting me. her latches are still not totally right and i have my moments where i think i'm going to throw in the towel again but i'm sticking to it.

my husband called the hospital lactation consultant today too and we have an appt. @ 11 tomorrow so i'm praying that helps.

thank you for your support and prayers. glad to know it has gotten better for so many people : )
arhodes728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

Tips to see about your letdown...does she choke or cough? Can you tell when pumping that you get a lot during your letdown? Is she gassy? If you remove her during your letdown are you spraying?

The opposite could be happening as well, meaning she may be impatient if you don't let down fast enough. If you don't think you have a strong/fast letdown, then it may be that she is just impatient. Is she fussy the entire feeding or just the beginning? PM if you want to discuss further, but I truly hope it works out for you.
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
arhodes728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE: we went to the lactation consultant today and she helped tremendously! she showed me how to hold my breast to get the best latch and zoey latched right on and started gulping down milk! she also showed me the difference between drinking and comfort sucking. i am officially off of the scheduled feedings and bfing on demand instead : ) she's still squirmy and fussy before i get her latched on but once she's latched, she's good to go!

thank you ladies for the encouragement! i feel so much better knowing i can nurse my daughter : D
arhodes728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yay! So glad the LC could help!

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey, I'm in Montgomery too! If you need help somewhere closer, pm me, I'd be glad to meet you. GL!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote