Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
emunahpeshuta
Registered Users

Need suggestions for making my own bamboo/hemp inserts

I've officially HAD IT with microfiber and am planning to make my own inserts so I can be in charge of how many layers can be cleaned at a time. I'm trying to narrow down my options. I have some Hemp Babies diaper doublers that I'm planning to use under the inserts I make myself. A few questions:

1. Will a bamboo insert (homemade - 6 layer trifold of bamboo fleece) hold up well with a Hemp Babies doubler behind it in my pocket diapers for overnight/heavy wetting times?
2. Where are some of the best places to buy bamboo fleece? Hemp?
3. Should I think of using flannel or birdseye instead of bamboo since I'll still be using the hemp doublers? Obviously, cost being a factor, flannel and birdseye are much less expensive.
4. If flannel or birdseye would work well, which of the two is more absorbent?

Thanks, CD novices! Any help appreciated!

Advertisement

emunahpeshuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need suggestions for making my own bamboo/hemp inserts

You might get more responses on the craft chat forum http://diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
There are lots of helpful diaper making mama's there. My only suggestion is use a serger if you have one, instead of turning and top-stitching. Oh, and Nature's Fabrics has crazy selections and if you join the her Yahoo group you get a decent % off all your orders, so that would cut down on some of the high cost of bamboo/hemp. HTH
Old 05-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

I made some hemp flats out of a big piece of hemp fleece I ordered online. It's like sweatshirt material, so I didn't serge or sew anything. Just cut them into rectangles, fold into smaller rectangles, and stuff.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Darth Hooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

6 layers tri folded of OBF will out absorb just about anything. it'll clean well too because its only 2 layers once unfolded. May take a little longer to dry than a prefold though. Add a hemp babies doubler and youll be set IMO. I have fitteds that I made that are 3 layers of OBF in the body and 4 layers OBF in the soaker and they are bullet proof.

I always buy from natures fabric. Great CS, fast shipping and if you join their yahoo group there is a 20% discount code on the front page. Not to mention their shipping rates have gone down roughly 3$. Can't say enough good things about natures fabric.

They also carry a hemp/bamboo fleece that I assume will hold more than their OBF because OBF is blended with cotton and their hemp/bamboo fleece is blended with hemp.

I would go with bamboo. The quality is worth it. I always kick myself when I cheap out. Birds eye and flannel don't have anything on bamboo IMO. Then again, I dislike flannel because it gets super stiff and crunchy. Bamboo tends to get stiff sometimes too but if im going to have a stiff fabric, im going to choose the one that will absorb more.

I'd say birds eye cleans better. But thats from experience with my flannel fitteds. I trashed them after less than a week of use.

Darth Hooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
emunahpeshuta
Registered Users

Thanks, ladies! I'm going to that site today to order my bamboo. Sionara mf!
emunahpeshuta is offline   Reply With Quote