Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are you going to participate in the flats/handwashing challenge?

Nope, but I did use it as an excuse to buy those Swaddlebees flats with the cute prints... We'll use them as pocket stuffers, and maybe for the newb.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #22
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Man I want to but dh laughed so hard he almost fell out of bed and asked me if it was the latest gossip on ds...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #23
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Originally I figured no but I do need to make an IKEA trip with in the next week & may just pick up some flats while I'm there. I had planned to buy a drying rack there & the flats would be a great combo with that.
We need stay dry but I love those Cotton Babies/BG stay dry socks for prefolds & would probably work great for flats, too.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #24
nature chic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quite seriously- someone explain to me the point of this challenge-- is it to feel pity for those without washers? Are you going to donate the "money saved" on washes to a local diaper ministry? Is it just to see if you can? I don't quite get it.
Married to my best friend since 95-- Mommy of DS #1Avery 9/00, DD #1 Natalie 12/02, DD #2 Emma 3/04 via stork from Korea in 05 and DS#2 Alan 11/10--new to CD'ing and open to input--Not ashamed of Jesus, my Savior.
nature chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #25
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it would be fun to see I could do it, it isnt a bad idea to know for the future if we have washer break down, and also for future road trips where we will be gone long enough that diapers will need to be washed. So a personal challenge for me and honestly I think it wont be that hard as a friend of mine did in on a trip once and said it took a whole 10 minutes every night.
We dont buy sposies so that isnt a back up option for us in certain situations
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #26
alisonh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if a person were to do this how many covers and flats would they need do you think? I have 8 muslin flats, can quickly make a couple of flannel ones, could run to Target but really dont want to spend much $ on this experiement (although if it works I would do it at the cabin this summer instead of the sposies I had planned!) but I only have 4 covers and am finding that is not enough anyhow for my mostly fitted stash (although I do have 2 wool wraps and 1 pair of shorties and 1 pair of longies) but I am also not good at getting the legs to hold the ebf poo in! He goes 1-2 times a day usually but when he goes he GOES! fitteds and pockets hold it in (sposies often don't!) but I have never gotten a pf or flat to keep it in so I am scared to use them with my wool... and my few covers are used up fast... sorry I got off topic, just need help with this!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
Mrs.Willis
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature chic
Quite seriously- someone explain to me the point of this challenge-- is it to feel pity for those without washers? Are you going to donate the "money saved" on washes to a local diaper ministry? Is it just to see if you can? I don't quite get it.
This is not meant to sound snarky but why would you feel pity for those of us without washers? That doesn't mean we're poor or less fortunate.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Mrs.Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #28
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonh View Post
if a person were to do this how many covers and flats would they need do you think? I have 8 muslin flats, can quickly make a couple of flannel ones, could run to Target but really dont want to spend much $ on this experiement (although if it works I would do it at the cabin this summer instead of the sposies I had planned!) but I only have 4 covers and am finding that is not enough anyhow for my mostly fitted stash (although I do have 2 wool wraps and 1 pair of shorties and 1 pair of longies) but I am also not good at getting the legs to hold the ebf poo in! He goes 1-2 times a day usually but when he goes he GOES! fitteds and pockets hold it in (sposies often don't!) but I have never gotten a pf or flat to keep it in so I am scared to use them with my wool... and my few covers are used up fast... sorry I got off topic, just need help with this!
For the challenge you are only allowed to have 5 covers in rotation. I don't think 8 flats is enough....maybe if you wash them every night
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As far as what the point is, I think it will vary for everyone. For me, it is a back to basics thing. I never tried the flats long enough consistently to see if I like them or if they work for us. I have never mastered any of the folds or figured out how to pin them in a way that they stay snug. This is a perfect opportunity to refine those skills.

As far as the handwashing goes, well I don't know where everyone else is but we are in Texas and the electric is very expensive here and additionally it gets very hot forcing the use of A/C It is not uncommon for it to be 103 degrees for several weeks in a row. We keep our thermostat at 83 degrees to try and keep our electric bill under $300 a month for our small home. If I can handle doing just flats and handwashing/hang drying them, It might help our one income family a lot!

So that is my personal point of the challenge.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #30
Dramagal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, but now I have to buy flats! lol
Kristin, wife to TJ and SAHM to Ezri,2, and her beautiful twin in heaven (8/09) and a drug-exposed foster baby (4/12) (currently #5)
Dramagal is offline   Reply With Quote