Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Users
books for big sibs?

Hi there!

We have a 3.5 year old son, whom we adopted through an open adoption at birth. We have had a wonderful experience and relationship with his birthfamily. While we hoped to have the same experience for our second child, we felt led to try foster parenting this time around...a really different set of rules and expectations, but at the heart of it all, still just trying to create a safe happy family for a child and to be the best parents we can be, no matter how long he/she will be entrusted to us.

My question is, are there any children's books to help a big brother/sister understand foster care? I'm concerned that our son will not understand what it means to foster and will certainly become attached to a child placed in our home. I want him to have a basic understanding of what it means to help love and care for a foster sibling yet know that he/she might not get to stay forever. We've had some talks with him, but he's so young, I thought a story might be nice. Books have certainly come in handy in helping him understand his adoption, but it seems they are not as readily available/advertised for this life experience?

Help please!

Mama2Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote