Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
psylion
Registered Users
seller

Any moms work and go to school?

I work full time and am trying to finish a PhD in Psychology. I am really finding it a struggle to find the energy to work on my dissertation after working all day and then caring for my 3 1/2 DD. I am exhausted all of the time and usually feel guilty because I always "should" be doing something else (school when I am with DD or vise versa). I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat with trying to balance school and work and parenting.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
desertgirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any moms work and go to school?

Nope, no way. I worked full-time while getting my master's and that was enough. There's no way I could do that again AND be a mom. Good luck--sounds like you're almost finished!
desertgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Lilysmom10
Registered Users

I will be in the fall. I got halfway through my master's in mechanical engineering before I took a LOA from school starting when I was about 6.5 months pregnant. DD will be 13 months when I start taking classes again. I was going to take a class this summer but they're not offering anything that fits into my plan of study.

I work a nominal 40 hour week at a fairly challenging job. I actually made the choice to change my graduate program from mechanical engineering to engineering science; now I don't have to worry about a multi-semester thesis and instead have a coursework-only plan of study that I can crank out in three more semesters. We plan to TTC baby #2 in late summer/fall of 2012 and I want to be DONE with grad school by then. There's just no way I can juggle being a mom and wife, working full time, and going to school - going to school while working full time during my pregnancy was hard enough!

This is my second master's degree. To be honest the engineering program takes a lot more time and effort on my part than my management degree did. I should have reversed the order and done engineering first; I'd be doing a relatively easy program now. Oh well....
Lilysmom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Me. Though I only work 20-30 hours a week and take two classes at a time. It isn't easy but somehow I seem to manage it all, some days better than others.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

I worked 20 hours a week and went to school full time for 3 years. It was hard work, but the best thing I ever did. My kids were between 5 and 10, then, but when we had the baby I quit working.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work FT and I'm a FT nursing student
RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
ClemsonMama87
Registered Users
Formerly: macsmommy10
seller
seller

My Mood:
Me! I just finished my Bachelor's last week while I was working FT! Now, I'll be working before I start my MPH program in the Spring (all while TTC #2!).
Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I work a 40 hour week and started a year long intensive masters program last February. Got unexpectedly pregnant in September and just had ds2 three weeks ago. He came one the first day of my last class. I'm sitting in class right now with my newbie while I had to find care for my other two. Hopefully I will graduate next month though. I only had four classes left once ds2 was here so I made the choice to continue instead of pushing this ine class off for an entire year. I'm now on maternity leave from my full time job so that helps a lot.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

This will be me next year--I'm getting my CAS for school & district administration. It's 8 classes. I keep telling myself I can do 8 classes. I'm doing 3 this summer (because I'm crazy??).
Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you. I am a high school teacher full time, with a sold out prep period, and I'm getting my masters. I was going to school full time at night and it was just to much. I also have a three and a half year old and I felt like I never saw him. My house has gone to crap, I hardly cook, I totally get feeling like you should always be doing something else. I have two classes this summer, and then two next fall and then I'll be done with my masters, and that is enough. I thought about going on for my administrative stuff but I've decided I just can't do any more.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote