Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #31
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

This is just my opinion no real fact behind it but I think if you cut back on the milk she might be more open to meat and veggies. With that much milk her tummy is probably too full for other foods.

Advertisement

jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #32
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how much milk does your 2 yr old drink?

My 2yo doesn't drink milk at all, she only ever wants water. I don't think I would let her have more than 1c a day though. I buy milk but use it to make kefir. My older 2 use it in their cereal but that's it.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #33
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My odd drank around 16-24 oz at that age and would of drank more if I let her but I didn't because she didn't eat a whole lot and she eat even less if I gave her more milk. My ds drinks maybe 8-16. He sometimes even skips drinking milk. At 2 he was also getting breastmilk once a day. Barring medical or food issues you don't want them to drink more than 24 ounces and even that is quite a bit. Toddlers need a balanced diet and too much of anything isn't good. She probably not eating much because she is drinking too much milk. I replace it with water not orange juice.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 05-16-2011 at 12:10 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #34
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Milk is actually terribly unhealthy, despite what the dairy people would like you to believe. Casein (the protein in milk) has been linked to cancer (see the research of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, especially the book The China Study) http://www.tcolincampbell.org/. Not to start a debate about milk vs no milk, but his research has been enough to convince me to drink NO milk. But I would say if you are going to drink milk that 24 oz is plenty. If a child is eating a healthy, varied diet, there is no need to supplement. Water is cheaper too...I can imagine all that milk must be expensive! :-P

my ds turns 3 today, and a few months ago I cut out dairy milk for drinking-too many negatives associated with it. Kids now drink a bit of almond milk every day (more calcium then dairy milk), and then lots of water.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #35
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

DS1 is 2.5 & has been having one single sippy [about 6oz] a day since he was two. We use 2% milk. At around a year old we switched from formula to whole milk & then around two made the change to 2%.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #36
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie714 View Post
This is just my opinion no real fact behind it but I think if you cut back on the milk she might be more open to meat and veggies. With that much milk her tummy is probably too full for other foods.
This is what I was wondering about, so this weekend we started a new nutritional routine. We are now at 2 cups max per day of milk, the hormone-free type. She can also have 1 cup a day of juice, OJ or otherwise (for the sake of calcium), and however much water she wants. She really hates water though, so I found some sugar and calorie free bottled water that is lightly, naturally flavored with fruit. She is definately eating better during meals. And I bought some flax seed to add in place of butter and eggs in my recipes. So far bread and brownies have turned out great I decided to try it because it has some added iron, protein and omega 3's and I was worried about her not getting enough of that stuff.
"Mama" to my sweet Josie 9/26/08, Lilia 9/24/12 (vbac!), and Everett 6/24/15 (vbac #2!)
yankeesundbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesundbound

This is what I was wondering about, so this weekend we started a new nutritional routine. We are now at 2 cups max per day of milk, the hormone-free type. She can also have 1 cup a day of juice, OJ or otherwise (for the sake of calcium), and however much water she wants. She really hates water though, so I found some sugar and calorie free bottled water that is lightly, naturally flavored with fruit. She is definately eating better during meals. And I bought some flax seed to add in place of butter and eggs in my recipes. So far bread and brownies have turned out great I decided to try it because it has some added iron, protein and omega 3's and I was worried about her not getting enough of that stuff.
Sounds like a good plan. Can I suggest watering down the juice though. My ped hates juice. She would rather then just eat the fruit. I do one once of juice with 7 ounces of water once a day. That way you avoid the excess sugar, but still get a little flsvor. Also watch the sugar free water. It is pobably sweetened with a chemical. My DD was not a good water drinker until I started offering nothing else during the day. They will usually drink it if the get thirsty. Have you tried a good multi vitamin. I love products from meadowmountainherbs.com for the sake of iron, cerial is good if she won't eat her meats or greens. As for calcium she probably gets enough from her two cups of milk.

Sorry I kind of bounced around from topic to topic.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #38
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Sorry wrong web address. Mountainmeadowherbs.com they have a liquid childrens calcium if you are concerned about calcium. Also I love love their prenatals. $28 for a 6 month supply.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Woah! 24oz seems high to me!! My DD doesn't drink more than two 8oz cups a day. One with breakfast and one with dinner. And there are many days she doesn't drink that. She drinks coconut milk.

I wonder if she isn't eating as much because she is drinking so much milk. 48oz of milk is a LOT of milk in one day. I would have a wicked stomach ache if I had that much!
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #40
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

lol, she's an addict, so I think her tolerance is high But seriously, no tummy aches, in fact she is po'd that I stopped letting her have so much. Like tantrums on the kitchen floor po'd.

I water down all juice already because she gets the runs if I don't. I will look at that site, $28 is a good price!
"Mama" to my sweet Josie 9/26/08, Lilia 9/24/12 (vbac!), and Everett 6/24/15 (vbac #2!)
yankeesundbound is offline   Reply With Quote