Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Feeling selfish... want to get rid of a pet but DS would cry

we re-homed our dog when the baby was just a few months old. My older boys had had her since she was a pup, but then 2 went to high school, 1 got a job....and all 4 spend 50% of the time with their dad, so I was the one who had to clean up after her (and she missed them, so she would poop in her crate), walk her (and she was a little dog, but could pull me hard), etc, etc and it was horrid for me. I only kept her as long as I did for them. At 1st they promised to help when they were here, but then I had to yell to remind them...so I did keep her for longer than I was going to. Finally, I just said I couldn't do it. They were sad, but supportive of me. We rehomed her to a good friend with the promise they could visit, but they have never asked. GL mama

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does your boy cat only spray out of the litter box? Or on other things, too? If it's only the box, maybe try one of the covered boxes. I have a male cat that pees outside a normal box because he doesn't squat as far or something. So we got a covered box for him. We also have a separate box (open) right next to the covered box but we have them both in a bathtub so if they have any accidents we can just rinse it down.

If that doesn't help I would just think about rehoming them. At least the one that bites. Kids get over it and you can always get another one when your boy is old enough to take over kitty duty.

My cats make me nuts sometimes, especially since one poops outside her box when she's mad at us, and the other likes to sleep on my pillow (when I'm on it!). I'm just kind of waiting for them to go to kitty heaven - don't flame me they're almost 16 years old!!
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi View Post
Does your boy cat only spray out of the litter box? Or on other things, too? If it's only the box, maybe try one of the covered boxes. I have a male cat that pees outside a normal box because he doesn't squat as far or something. So we got a covered box for him. We also have a separate box (open) right next to the covered box but we have them both in a bathtub so if they have any accidents we can just rinse it down.

If that doesn't help I would just think about rehoming them. At least the one that bites. Kids get over it and you can always get another one when your boy is old enough to take over kitty duty.

My cats make me nuts sometimes, especially since one poops outside her box when she's mad at us, and the other likes to sleep on my pillow (when I'm on it!). I'm just kind of waiting for them to go to kitty heaven - don't flame me they're almost 16 years old!!
The male cat only sprays next to the litter tray (as in, he is squatting in the litter tray as if he is going to pee as normal, and then the hormonal thing takes over and he quivers and raises his butt). I thought about getting the covered tray, too, but that's just more for me to clean.

Yeah, I've been talking all this over with DH, and he's against any nuclear options at the moment. But it's nice to hear accounts that kids didn't react as badly as you thought they would. I, too, am secretly hoping for some health-related death, but the kitties are only 7 and 11 years old. =P
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
ArtHistoryChick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't read the other replies but have you thought about using one of those big plastic storage bins that have lids. We use a sterlite one and DH cut a hole out on the lid. So it's enclosed. We did this years ago when we adopted a cat( she got out and never came back home) and I never knew why her urine was all over the Littermaid we bought. It ruined the expensive electric Littermaid. Until one day I caught her and as soon as she start peeing she stood up and it went everywhere. So we use cheap plastic bins with lids since then.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #15
mydaddysjag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many male cats will spray outside the litterpan if they have to share it with other cats, its pretty common. Mine was doing ALL of his business outside of the litterpan until we got a second pan. I would try to find a place for a second pan, it really made a big difference for us.

As far as rehoming a childs pet, Im a sucker on that one. Adult animals are hard to rehome, they dont have the puppy/kitten cute factor. We currently have a basset hound that we were only supposed to be a temporary home until we found him a home, until DS fell in love. The moment DS wakes up in the morning he is calling "here douggy" and has renamed buddy "duda" lol. He really does pay attention to him 80% of the day. Would he notice if he was gone? probably only for a few days, but since he enjoys the dog so much, I cant get rid of him.
mydaddysjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I am a cat person. I have three. My cats are annoying and each a giant pain in the rear at times. And the thought of re-homing any of them makes me cringe.

But honestly, at cat that regularly bites would be gone very quickly. A one time incident I can deal with. But multiple times, which it sounds like from your OP, and I wouldn't hesitate to do what's necessary. For one thing, I do not want my child to learn that it's ok for any animal to be aggressive. For another, due to personal experience from a one time incident with one of my three cats, cat bites are nothing to mess with. A few years ago, we came home from a 2 week vacation to discover a SEVERE flea infestation in our home. My brother had been feeding and watering the cats, taking care of the litter box, but he never really played with him and so never noticed. Anyway, the only thing we could get our hands of immediately was a flea shampoo and we had to give the cat some relief. Well, cats and baths don't mix and she flipped out and turned around and bit me. Only time it's ever happened. I washed it, bandaged it and 6 hours later, my thumb, where I had been bitten, was swelled up to twice it's normal size. I ended up heading to the ER, was told it was good I had gone in when I did. They said had I waited another hour or so I would have had to have been admitted and put on IV antibiotics. As it was they gave me an injection and sent me with a script for some heavy duty antibiotics. And I still ended up getting pretty sick.

If your cat has bitten your child multiple times, please consider rehoming the animal to a home without kids.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
breanne_roz
Registered Users
seller

If you are willing to give it another try, I would certinaly invest in another litter box...even if you have to put it right next to the other one.

My cat is a bit older (10) and we had an issue with him peeing outside of the litter box. It started suddenly and we aren't sure of the exact cause. I was worried he was sick so I took him to the vet and everything checked out. Around the time he started urinating outside of the box I had started introducing him to a new food and we had brought the class hamster home for 2 weeks. We were also much more busy that usual. I'm not sure if it was one of these things or the combination of everything that upset him. Even before he starting going outside of the litterbox he was constantly meowing ALLLLL night. He would go for a solid 4 hours straight without stopping. He also was constantly waking me at night for attention. I realized that he is just very needy, and he slept 20 hours out of the day and was only up from 12am-4am. Of course he was going to be bored, we didn't even have toys for him - with him being an older cat I just kind of assumed he was done with toys. I decided to really dedicate some time to him and he is a different cat now I purchased a feliway(feline pheromone) plug in & some spray. This helps territorial & stressed cats...I swear by it! I then started taking him to his litter box a couple times a day, and when he would go I would reward him with a treat. After a few days he was regularly using his litter box on his own. If I noticed that he hadn't urinated all day, I would place him in his litter box before I went to bed to make sure that he wasn't going to have a full bladder while roaming the house at night! Also, I invested in a bunch of cat toys to keep him entertained at night...and a laser pointer! I play with him for 10-20 minutes every night before bed. He runs around chasing the laser until he is panting lol. Of course all of this requires devoting attention to him, but now that all of the big "problems" have been fixed, it really doesn't take much time out of my day to make sure his needs are met. He rarely meows at night, and if he does it is only for a few seconds. I could count on one hand how many times he has woken me at night in the last few months since getting the feliway plug in & lots of toys. He also has not sprayed or had any accidents outside of the litterbox. I'm a firm believer that pets are for life and I also did not want to let him outside....but I was honestly at a point that I was ready to kick him outside and I'm not sure I would have been too concerned if he didn't come home. It's very easy not to feel love for your pet when they are putting you through hell!

Best of luck making your decision!
breanne_roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Hehe - I feel this way. We have two very friendly needy female cats who drive me insane. But DH loves them. Of course he's been deployed and so they're even more starved for attention than usual. I don't have the energy to give to them after I put DD down. And I don't want it. Leave me alone please!

We have a litter robot and it's awesome. It's expensive... But my house never smells like cats. And I ask guests regularly. Guests who would tell me.

They're sweet cats and I feel horrible that I feel like I do... But I just .... do. I've never been a pet person. Sometimes I wish we'd get sent overseas and I'd convince DH to give them away. But otherwise, I hate making him feel like I hate his cats.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

I have the same problem currently. Before DD i was a CAT person and now I am not. My poor cat went from being the baby to being the black sheep in the house. She's very needy and will wake us up at all hours of the night for petting.

The only thing that has kept me away from giving her away is that DD LOVES her so much and the cat will eat the random spider/fly or anything it finds. LOL I know that sounds goofy but I keep her around now just for that.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtHistoryChick View Post
I haven't read the other replies but have you thought about using one of those big plastic storage bins that have lids. We use a sterlite one and DH cut a hole out on the lid. So it's enclosed. We did this years ago when we adopted a cat( she got out and never came back home) and I never knew why her urine was all over the Littermaid we bought. It ruined the expensive electric Littermaid. Until one day I caught her and as soon as she start peeing she stood up and it went everywhere. So we use cheap plastic bins with lids since then.

We have two cats too, and we were having issues with the girl actually somehow managing to pee out of the box (she'd go in it but still the pee ended up outside ) Anyway, we did like the above poster and use a big sterelite container now. It works awesome and isn't at all difficult to clean, so that might solve at least part of your problem
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote