Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: adopting "waiting children"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanykids View Post
Tami, can you send some sort of link? We live in IN if it makes a difference. THANK YOU!
Here's a link to IN waiting children. Some may not yet be legally free for adoption, but it should say if they are or not. http://www.adoptuskids.org/states/in/index.aspx

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend who adopted through an organization in FL a mixed race little boy and she was only on the waiting list for 2 weeks! There are agencies that will base their fees for domestic on a sliding scale based on your income or there are organizations that will discount their fees if you want to adopt an AA or mixed race baby. I have heard that the wait is MUCH less than if you are adopting a 'white' baby and I know that these domestic adoptions are generally expensive, but still less than international adoption. You can also go through a local agency that works with DCS and adopt inter-state b/c there are young children that are waiting for families, but know they probably do have some sort of 'special needs' whether it be emotional or behavioral. Look around your area and give a call or email to an agency that works with DCS and ask them your questions. There are lots of kids that need homes, even in that age range...it just may take a while for you to get a match through that process...GL!
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
pcjs
Registered Users

With the race issue, it really just depends and a lot of it is with luck. Now that people are more open to different race children, its not as "easy" as it was several years ago. We were very open to race and didn't find that an easier route to take. Everyone kept telling us to be open and it was strange to us as we were and the race did not seem to help in any way.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

When we certified, we had the option of certifying as a foster (boarding) home, an adoptive home, or both. We chose both. We've been approached about respite, short-term(6-12 mos) and indefinite foster placements. We've also been approached about taking a placement for a boy who had been freed for adoption (TPRed), so he needed to go to a pre-adoptive placement (i.e., a home that was adoptive certified)...and they were okay w/ the fact that we had no intention of adopting the child; he just needed to be in an adoptive-certified home b/c of his status. You can go through the child welfare system w/o being a foster parent (I'm in NY, have no idea the laws in IN)...it defrays the cost of approval, as I never had to pay for a homestudy or anything .