View Poll Results: Will you or did you teach your child to ride a bike
Yes 131 92.91%
No 3 2.13%
Not sure yet 0 0%
Other 7 4.96%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Will you/did you teach your child to ride a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I voted "other" too. Sorry.

I would teach my kids. I think it's a good thing for kids to know. I rode my bike EVERYWHERE when I was a kid. Kids should be out riding bikes. BUT, I have 5 kids 5 and under. My oldest is 5. We would love to get him a bike and teach him. Unfortunately, I just can't get out there to teach him. We do live in a house in a neighborhood. We have a driveway and sidewalks. The problem is, I can't focus my attention on him out there with twins who are 3 and 13 month old twins. When we go outside, I usually either have 2 adults or we do it in a contained area, like our fenced in backyard. If I was focusing on teaching him to ride a bike, I wouldn't be able to adequately keep an eye on my 2 3 year olds to make sure they didn't go in the street or whatever. Plus, I don't let him play out there by himself. So, again, we usually play in our backyard. He wouldn't have an opportunity to ride much. My husband works 6 days a week. He can't really do it. Hopefully, we will teach them all when the littlest get older. I'm just not totally sure.

Ideally, all my kids will learn to ride at some point.
That really makes me feel bad for your oldest. I hate the "I'm too busy with my other kids" excuse for things (and I don't just mean riding a bike). When there's a will there's a way, heck it took my DS 5 minutes to figure it out (with training wheels of course) and DD is 2 and can tear around on the tricycle. We never taught her she just picked it up while we were playing outside.

Edited to add: I don't mean to criticize, I can't imagine how busy you are with 2 sets of twins... my heart just broke when I read your comment. Probably because it home a little, I often feel guilty I'm not spending enough quality time with my oldest because I am busy with the younger two kids.

Advertisement

S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in

Last edited by Pikemommy; 05-14-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Yep. My older two can (and do) ride their bikes. The youngest has a bike with training wheels on it (she's only 4). I thought my kids were weird because neither of the older two could ride until they were 7. I was riding without training wheels at 5.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
lilsoldiersmommy
Registered Users
seller

Yes I will be teaching all of my kids to ride a bike. ODS already rides one with training wheels and has been since he was 2. My younger 2 will have trikes till they are big enough for a bike.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
lilsoldiersmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
I voted "other" too. Sorry.

I would teach my kids. I think it's a good thing for kids to know. I rode my bike EVERYWHERE when I was a kid. Kids should be out riding bikes. BUT, I have 5 kids 5 and under. My oldest is 5. We would love to get him a bike and teach him. Unfortunately, I just can't get out there to teach him. We do live in a house in a neighborhood. We have a driveway and sidewalks. The problem is, I can't focus my attention on him out there with twins who are 3 and 13 month old twins. When we go outside, I usually either have 2 adults or we do it in a contained area, like our fenced in backyard. If I was focusing on teaching him to ride a bike, I wouldn't be able to adequately keep an eye on my 2 3 year olds to make sure they didn't go in the street or whatever. Plus, I don't let him play out there by himself. So, again, we usually play in our backyard. He wouldn't have an opportunity to ride much. My husband works 6 days a week. He can't really do it. Hopefully, we will teach them all when the littlest get older. I'm just not totally sure.

Ideally, all my kids will learn to ride at some point.
Your older 3 could learn at the same time. They could be on bikes or trikes. We have a very steep driveway, so we spray-painted a line that they ARE NOT allowed to pass without an adult. That includes just playing as well. It did not take them long at all to not pass it.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes absolutely we will (and did) our oldest son started riding his bike without training wheels around 6yr 8mos i have no doubt he couldve done it sooner we just didnt take the training wheels off before that (laziness? lol) we do have a buggy we go on family bike rides. once DS3 gets old enough to sit in it we will start going places again. for now its just around the complex.

Last edited by Lovely Momma; 05-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Lovely Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
MyLovely
Registered Users

Absolutely! I can't imagine not being able to ride a bike.

I also don't really think it's fair to blame electronics/technology. I'm sure since the beginning of time, parents have been blaming new technology. "Huktu, how can we expect our kids to grow up strong now that the wheel is invented?! Those lazy kids, getting to pull their dead sabertooth tigers on a cart instead of on their backs, how WE did it! Society is going to collapse!"
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
I said other because DD is 8 and STILL doesn't have much interest. We like to bike with the family, and until recently DD has been able to ride the trail-a-bike behind DH. But now at 65 pounds it's just too heavy for him. She is stubborn and really hard to deal with if she doesn't want to do something, and she barely has the interest in learning to ride herself. It's disappointing. Hopefully sometime she will realize that it's not THAT hard and try on her own.

As for DS, he will certainly have interest (just the kind of kid) and DH will teach him as soon as he can (he's only 2.5 now).
To op, yes, to us it is very important that they can ride a bike.
To person quoted, start him now on a balance bike. We started ds on the specialized hotwalk whe he was 1.5 years old. He is now 3 years five month ad we bought him a specialized pedal bike for easter. Sice a week he is riding on his own without training wheels, we never had them on. The advantage of the balance bike is that they learn to balance and you can also take them on bike tours asap since they develope speed very quickly. I would definately recoomend the ivestment in a very good and light bike if your family likes to ride.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Yup. All my kids (except for my 18 month old) know how to ride without training wheels. My older 2 were 7 when they learned because before that there was no area to teach them. DS was 5, DD was 5 and my 4 year old taught herself right after her birthday. Its all they do all day!
I will say, that here in Vegas because yard space is small and streets are busy that kids are older when they learn from when I was little.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

DS learned to ride without training wheels a few months before his 5th birthday. DD still rides with training wheels.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Mrs.Nicolian
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely! My 3yo rides with training wheels and my 2yo rides a tricycle for now. I'm hoping maybe next summer to be able to take off the training wheels for my oldest.

Mrs.Nicolian is offline   Reply With Quote