Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How 'bout some castor oil success stories to get me in the mood?

My due date was yesterday, I want to avoid another medical induction... yada yada.

I tried Castor Oil with my last pregnancy. I wasn't dilated or effaced at all that time and I knew it was unlikely to work for me, and I was right about that. No dice. Wasn't really all that bad, though.

I've got 1 dose of CO left and the bottle says it doesn't expire until 2013. This time I've made it to 2 cm dilatation and 30-40% effacement, but that's been the extent of my progress and I've been like this for a couple weeks now. I have been taking EPO orally for the last several weeks, but I ran out a few days ago and haven't bought any more. My husband's prostaglandins aren't cutting it, either

So if it worked for you, tell me about it and push me over the edge!

Advertisement

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Re: How 'bout some castor oil success stories to get me in the mood?

Ive never used it and no one I know IRL has had success with it, including my mom who drank entirely way too much of it tyring to have my two week-late brother.

I have heard that strawberries can do it (), and I have used an herb pill (cant remember the name of it) to start contractions and it did, but they didnt stick around....

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
nicole3567
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have tried it with all my kid no Dice, with this one I was 2 cm 70 % effaced. Im still pg
nicole married DH 08/13/06, dd 02/28/06 dd#2 7/04/08 dd #3 5/10/11, my first water birth, CD, Breastfeeding, Co sleeping because she wont sleep any where else Athiest mom,
nicole3567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It worked for my DD (or it could have been coincidence). She was 8 days past her due date (after 10 weeks on bedrest for pre-term labour) and I was ready to try a few tricks. I downed 2Tbsp and went into labour with her that night.

Problem was, the effects of the castor oil on my digestive system didn't kick in until after I had her. Post-baby perineum + castor oil liquid insides = one unhappy mama!

Try rubbing it on your belly first. I've heard it can do the same thing but without the unpleasant after effects.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My midwife just told me to use EPO at 39 weeks and insert 6 vaginally every night before bed. And have dh put them in so they can get all the way to the cervix. I haven't ever heard anything good about castor oil... Sorry not what you wanted to hear...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Semen - applied to the cervix or taken orally can help soften your cervix.

If you don't have a good bishop score induction (of any sort) won't work well.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i just heard recently that the castor oil is a bad idea because it can cause the baby to release their bowels the same way it works in us.....i cant confirm that anywhere but it is something to keep in mind.....sorry hun i havent heard any real good success stories or good stuff about castor oil
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I used castor oil to induce after my ds decided to be 2 weeks late... here's my story...
http://alifeofpeaceloveanddiapers.bl...s-of-pics.html
My midwives wanted me to drink a whole bottle of castor oil, but I was scared to do that, so I just drank it slowly until I had to "go" the 1st time, then I stopped after that. Labor progressed quickly and all was well. Good luck mama!!!
Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
cusemom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndoxx View Post
I tried Castor Oil with my last pregnancy. I wasn't dilated or effaced at all that time and I knew it was unlikely to work for me, and I was right about that. No dice.
I've been thinking about taking some too, but I'm afraid of nothing happening and being miserable (not that I'm not already miserable at this point ). My doctor doesn't like to check if I'm dilated/effaced until I'm post dates, so I don't know how close I am.

I hope it works for you if you try it again!
cusemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I took castor oil at 7pm Thursday night. DH left for work at 9 I started light contractions at 10 went into full on labor around 12:30am. He came home we tok our daughter to the hospital and I was in labor all day Friday and had DS on Saturday November 13th at 5:13 am. I was 2 weeks overdue with NO contractions at all! I did 2 ounces split into 3 "shots" chased each one with juicy juice berry! Don't try chasing with Pepsi!! I had bounced on my ball, walked, DTD, drank RRLF numerous times a day for weeks and wasn't even having fake contractions. Castor Oil is the only reason I went into labor!

Eta: I was like .5 cm dilated for 2 weeks, had my membranes stripped twice and wasn't effaced...also made me crap a LOT!!

Last edited by jojoreta; 05-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote