Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

Re: S/O kids and fake tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy View Post
My question is does anyone think that fake tattoos actually promotes real tattoos? Kind of like fake makeup or candy cigarettes?
My first reaction was "not at all!" but I think it depends on the situation.

If the parents are not tattooed at all, then a fake tattoo is not going to promote real tattoos, period. (IMO of course) It's just something pretty or funky or fun, whatever. I used to do fake tattoos all the time, when I was a kid, and my parents are NOT tattooed at all (they hate the idea LOL) and they had no problem with me having them.
(in fact, my more expensive-bought ones when I was older, I didn't want them to go to 'waste' by wearing them, so I transfered them onto my walls so I could see them all the time. I think a bunch are still up there in my old room ) I also used to LOVE getting henna tattoos.

Now... in our case, both DH and I each have one tattoo. We want more but that's all we have right now. DD likes my "pretties" (I have flowers on my ankle), and has asked to have pretties like mommy. I don't mind putting fake tattoos on her at this age (3). and we'll have more in-depth discussions about it when she's older. If she wants to get a real one when she's old enough, I hope that DH and I have taught her (and DS) well enough to think long and hard about them before she decides what and where to get it. I'd rather give her the support and 'critique' her idea so that she doesn't go out and get something silly that she'll regret later.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
smilyme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see any harm in it.

www.clothisgreen.com
smilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I don't have tattoos, I don't like tattoos and I would never choose to mark my body in that way. MY preference.

However, fake tattoos? I could care less. If Henry gets a fake tattoo somewhere, birthday party, Easter egg hunt, whatever, and he wants me to put it on him I'm fine with that.

Honestly, though, most of the time he wants to apply them to stuff. We covered his solid, plain blue balance bike with spider and spider web tattoos we got on clearance after Halloween, and it looks really cool. They will come off with rubbing alcohol when he is bored with them, too.

I always thought fake tattoos were fun when I was a kid; it didn't make me want to get them for real, though.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
My question is does anyone think that fake tattoos actually promotes real tattoos? Kind of like fake makeup or candy cigarettes?
I am not sure that it matters. My oldest is 15, and while she's not talked about it much, I don't doubt that she will be getting herself some ink in a few more years. She knows she's not allowed to get any before 18, and we have talked about making the decision to put something permanent on your body and thinking ahead and all that.

I don't think fake tattoos encourage kids to sneak off and get inked before they are legally allowed, but as far as encouraging it after age 18? I don't think it matters.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I had play make up and always had candy cigarettes growing up (they are my momís favorite candy to this day - whenever I see them Iím to buy them for her). I did not have fake tattoos growing up.

As an adult I donít wear make up or smoke but I do have tattoos. I think denying fake tattoos may be more likely to promote the rebellion of real tattoos.
We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I don't mind them at all. I don't have any tats and no plans to ever get one, but they don't bother me at all. I don't think it promotes getting real ones later in life. If it did, that wouldn't bother me, either. I would totally support them getting a tattoo once they are an adult... and would just cross my fingers that it would be something decent and not something inappropriate or in a spot where it can't be covered for job reasons.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

I had candy cigarettes, pretend chew, fake tattoos, and play make up as a kid.

I've never smoked, never chewed (eew! ^_^), have zero tattoos, and don't wear anything but foundation about once a month! Trying to make that more like once a week though. Stupid acne >_<
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

No i don't like them , I think they look tacky. If dd gets one for some reason i allow her to put them in on a part of her body that i can cover up with clothing if she ask. I do not buy them . Dh and i both have tattoos ,but they are easily covered by clothing.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy
No. I think if anything kids who are already more inclined towards tattoos are going to gravitate to fake ones as kids. Not to other way around. What made me want fake tattoos as a kid was seeing adults with tattoos. The fake tattoos held little appeal by themselves. Although for most kids I would venture to say there is little correlation.

Likewise the kids I knew who were the most into fake candy cigarettes were the kids whose parents smoked. The candy cigarettes didn't make them want to smoke real ones. Instead, watching their parents smoke made them want to do the same.

Last edited by Janine; 05-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #20
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I don't mind them at all and my kids love them! I do have tattoos, dh has none, I do not think they push the kids to get real tattoos as an adult though. I also used to buy the fake cigarettes and the big chew bag and don't smoke or chew..lol

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 05-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote