Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
He won't eat veggies anymore...

So my 12 month old has become a really picky eater. In fact the only things DCP and I can get him to eat are mac-n-cheese, hotdogs, and tyson chicken nuggets. He will also eat the gerber mac-n-cheese meal with veggies. I know I know, these are not nutritionally balanced items. But he literally spits rice, bananas, apples, other veggies everything back out....

So I bought the plum organic baby food pouches that have the fruit and veggie mix. I give him the pouch and let him "drink" the baby food. He will eat veggies and fruit this way.

Is this acceptable? Is there any flaw in my thinking that if this is the only way to get veggies then I should do it???

TIA

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: He won't eat veggies anymore...

Have you given him veggies as finger foods?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd still offer him the real deal, but I don't see the big problem in giving him the pouches whle he goes thru this (hopefully) stage. You could also do purees if you have a food processor and "hide" the good stuff in his food. Kids never notice. And give him the veggies fruit first. My kids have never turned down cut up grapes, strawberries, etc. Are you still spoonfeeding? He might just want control of what he puts in his mouth if you are. My daughter nixed spoonfeeding at a very early age, and only like to feed herself.

ETA- Mixed frozen veggies (peas, beans carrots, etc) steamed are a good snack and perfect for self feeding and also letting lo choose which to eat. All the carrots would get thrown, but she'd munch everything else. No pressure to eat.

Last edited by sugacube; 05-16-2011 at 09:08 AM.
sugacube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

in my opinion he is being a picky eater and refusing the veggies because you will give him other 'fun' things if he doesnt want the veg, stop offering him other things and he'll eat them soon enough.

joshuas_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
TwoDarlings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would second putting pureed veggies in the foods he loves. I bought a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious for that specific purpose! My eldest went through this stage too, I just keep offering the real deal meanwhile sneaking cauliflower puree into her mac-n-cheese.
M and and mommy to darling #1 L and darling #2 G

Own your own business? Join me on Facebook for tips to optimize your biz!
TwoDarlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Offer, offer, offer as snacks or finger food meals. And sneak them into other things. If he loves mac and cheese, add pureed carrots or sweet potatos to it, for example. I had to offer my yds brocolli about 20 times before he liked it. Now he is the wierd kid in the store begging me to get brocolli!! Offering until he liked them worked with everything except green beans. He will still not eat more than one bite, so I think he really doesn't like them!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was also going to mention deceptively delicious, but really it's super easy to mix pureed foods into just about anything. In mac and cheese you can blend up any veggie you have on hand and mix in. If you make your own chicken nuggets you can dip them in veggie purees before breading them. With hot dogs, try making your own "ketchup" (veggie purees to spread on top).

Will he drink smoothies? That's another easy way to mix in some veggies (and fruits). Spinach is a nice base for smoothies and you can't taste it.

Other ideas:
-sweet potato oven fries
-guacamole (or chunks of avocado)
-kale chips
-hummus
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Emma
Registered Users
seller

I'm have the same problem w/mine too. She'll refuse veggies as finger food. If I sneak them in her meal, she'll pick them out. She won't eat purees either. I am a bad mom in that I will pin her arms down and shove the food in when she opens her mouth as she needs veggies. I'll have to do this to her w/fruit too, unless it's applesauce. What's weird is that she'll food you wouldn't expect a 1 yr old to eat, yet she'll start screaming her head off if you try to give her a banana. I don't get it.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugacube View Post
I'd still offer him the real deal, but I don't see the big problem in giving him the pouches whle he goes thru this (hopefully) stage. You could also do purees if you have a food processor and "hide" the good stuff in his food. Kids never notice. ArAnd give him the veggies fruit first. My kids have never turned down cut up grapes, strawberries, etc.e you still spoonfeeding? He might just want control of what he puts in his mouth if you are. My daughter nixed spoonfeeding at a very early age, and only like to feed herself.

ETA- Mixed frozen veggies (peas, beans carrots, etc) steamed are a good snack and perfect for self feeding and also letting lo choose which to eat. All the carrots would get thrown, but she'd munch everything else. No pressure to eat.

Thats the thing...he does notice and will not eat the food. I tried to mush up broccoli in his mac-n-cheese and he refused it. I don't spoon feed, he won't let me. He won't eat ANY fruit. I did get a few grapes in him last night but then he started throwing them on the floor or would put them in his mouth and spit them back out. He does that with apple, banana, strawberry, anything I give him to feed himself. I am still offering the real stuff but it usually goes like this

I put the food on his tray, he picks it up and puts it in his mouth and then spits it right back out. The only things he won't spit out are mac-n-cheese, tyson chicken nuggets (he will spit out any other brand) and hotdogs.

I'm at a loss!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I'm have the same problem w/mine too. She'll refuse veggies as finger food. If I sneak them in her meal, she'll pick them out. She won't eat purees either. I am a bad mom in that I will pin her arms down and shove the food in when she opens her mouth as she needs veggies. I'll have to do this to her w/fruit too, unless it's applesauce. What's weird is that she'll food you wouldn't expect a 1 yr old to eat, yet she'll start screaming her head off if you try to give her a banana. I don't get it.
This is my child to a T. Although come to think of it, his daddy got him to eat guacamole at the mexican restaurant yesterday. Maybe I will try some avacado. But if the flavor is just slightly off, he refuses it and won't eat. (then he is up a million times in the night to nurse b/c he is hungry and that won't work for me because I work FT)!