Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
lullaby80
Registered Users

My Mood:
Have you ever switched pediatricians? Sorry, long..

Advertisement

Last edited by lullaby80; 07-29-2011 at 12:14 PM.
lullaby80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
ArtHistoryChick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never been in that situation in regards to my DD but switched OB practices twice before settling with a midwife. You are unhappy and he doesn't seem like he is doing his job. I say move on to this other doctor you heard of. Don't feel bad, do what is best for you and your family.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
mochamama
Registered Users

Re: Have you ever switched pediatricians? Sorry, long..

go with your gut! switch. do not second guess in a situation like this.
mochamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

After what you described, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

When DD was born the kids were being seen by a ped at the military clinic. I had had some issues with the clinic with DS, appointments being confused (I booked an appt for a certain date, they said I booked it for the following month when I would be overseas) and cancelled, they didn't catch on to DS' issues either. I made an appointment for DD to be seen at just under 2 weeks old. DH drives me to the clinic and I walk in and they tell me I once again have the wrong date. That I booked it for the day of MIL's funeral. There is NO WAY I would have done that. At first I said okay I'd reschedule, but that I wanted to get a quick weight check for DD since I was trying to BF and had no idea if things were okay. They said they couldn't do it. At this point I started crying and said I just wanted to put her on the baby scale, no one else even had to do it, and they refused. DH at this point walked in and saw me hysterically crying (he was parking the car) and I explained what was happening and DH marched us into the Tricare (insurance) office and demanded that we be given permission to see a civilian doctor without switching insurance (our plan required you to see a mlitary doc if one was available.) They tried to put up a fight, but when DH laid down everything that had happened, the Tricare rep found a "loophole" and let us switch to a civilian ped. It was the best choice ever, and I don't regret it at all.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in the process of doing it now. Hugs to you mama. I don't like people to be upset with me but my DS has been congested since October with no end in sight just progressively stronger abx that work for progressively shorter periods of time (yes I know about resistance and everything I just don't want to hijack with the whole story). So anyway, we are switching. Its rough but you must do what is best for your child!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

After the first visit questioning your family style of staying home, play groups, preschool, I would have not gone back and found a new doctor. If he is like that with others, its not you and ask for the kids medical records and change. He should guiding but not that judgmental if it works for a family/child. We've seen several ped's in our clinic as ours had to go on two emergency's leaves (one positive, one not ) and all never acted like that and were all supportive within reason of our choices.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, if he is that busy of schedule and not that attentive to his patients he probably wont ever realize you don't go there anymore. I've switched peds many times and not once have I received a call asking why I was switching, why they hadn't seen me etc. I'd find someone new asap and never look back.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
Honestly, if he is that busy of schedule and not that attentive to his patients he probably wont ever realize you don't go there anymore. I've switched peds many times and not once have I received a call asking why I was switching, why they hadn't seen me etc. I'd find someone new asap and never look back.
Yup, same here.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I have no loyalty to doctors. I mean, it takes a LOT for me to swoon over one and think they are awesome... and I have only met one that I actually sort-of liked. (our current ped)

I switch whenever I don't feel comfortable. Since my ODD was born 4 yrs ago, she's seen 5+ pediatricians. My DS has only seen 2, since I've been pretty happy with the most recent one for ODD, I just take them both there.

I don't take them often b/c we don't do vaxes. It was hard just for me to find a ped that would accept them b/c of the vax issue. And now the current ped (after seeing him for over 2 yrs) suddenly has pulled out these forms I have to sign to waive vaxes for my newest LO... and then asked me more than enough questions about my DS's stitches in his eyebrow (which he got over 6 mos ago) asking me if I've worked harder to prevent accidents, if I've made my home a safer place...

WTHeck? He ran in the bedroom and started jumping on the bed and fell before anyone could even get him. He's 2. It happens. Not my proudest, happiest mommy memory, but I'm not going to feel guilty over it, it was an accident. I can't put him on a leash, and I'm sure it's not the first of his injuries, since he likes to fling himself on the floor and smack himself into walls.

I'll likely switch from this ped if he keeps up the waivers and the safety concern briefings, as well.

Anyway, all of that was to tell you that whenever you are uncomfortable, you should switch. There's nothing wrong with doing that, and you really don't even need to think twice, IMO. You are paying them for a service and if they are not performing that service to your standards, you have every right to find someone who will. Don't feel bad about it.

Last edited by Kiliki; 05-16-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

ETA: As many times as we've switched, we've never had anyone call to ask why. And if they did, I'd just be honest. "I didn't like ____" or "It made me uncomfortable when ______" or whatever. In your case, if they want to know, just be honest. "I switched b/c I felt the doctor had taken on too many patients, as he was always rescheduling appointments and then we were seen late. I felt it was in his best interest to have fewer patients and in my best interest to find a doctor with a lighter work load who could give us the attention we need."
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote