Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
10 month old with RSV- advice and stories?

my girl has it. its been going thru the house and I tried really hard for her to NOT get it. well my teenager fed her something off her previoulsy licked finger and now my 10 month old has it the worst.

I'm not for Dr's but I am nearly ready to go in. I am knowing they cant do a lot for her which is why I am not running in right now.

she wont let me hold her, I cant put her down. I try to lay with her but she hates that too. she's not sleeping longer than an hr at a time. puking on and off, barely nursing. temp up to 102.4. I am giving her pain reliever to allow the fever down a bit so she will eat a tad.
she has only peed 1 time in 14 hrs. her breathing is ok. not too labored. but she sounds barky and hoarse.

she is miserable and I am too. I dont know what else to do!!

UPDATE: she is doing so much better today. based off my other kids I knew yesterday would be the worst day. no Dr seen. she is eating and peeing normally today

Advertisement

Last edited by homebirthmom; 05-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 10 month old with RSV- advice and stories?

Ummm, I would definitely be bringing her in so they can monitor her O2 levels and listen to her lungs. If she has RSV and is having a hard time then she should be seen.

Hugs, mama! DS had RSV over the winter and it was no fun. He didn't have it as bad as it sounds your DD has it, but he did have a double ear infection and pneumonia.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
amomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried sitting in the bathroom with the door closed and the shower turned on all the way on hot? It seemed to help my DD all around. She would stop coughing and it would get her to relax a bit. We just sang lots and lots of songs while sweating up a storm in the bathroom! When there was no hot water we would go play and when I thought there might be hot water again, we would go back in! We had a nebulizer for her, but only used it once at the hospital. I didn't like the way it made her act and I would rather do the shower
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilikinsMama View Post
Ummm, I would definitely be bringing her in so they can monitor her O2 levels and listen to her lungs. If she has RSV and is having a hard time then she should be seen.

Hugs, mama! DS had RSV over the winter and it was no fun. He didn't have it as bad as it sounds your DD has it, but he did have a double ear infection and pneumonia.
This! when DS runs a fever, his O2 level drops majorly...she needs to be seen!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I'd take her in. True there's not a whole lot they can do for RSV, but when DS had a suspected case they gave him a nebulizer treatment for whenever his wheezing got particularly bad, and if her O2 levels are very low they might give her that, or fluids if she is dehydrated.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely take her in! I didn't think my toddler had it that bad this winter when my then 2 month old got it, but she ended up a lot sicker than the baby. They were both getting breathing treatments for labored breathing though.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
KLJ07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd had it at 10 months also, and it was awful! Her fever hovered between 103-104 for at least a week. I finally took her to the ER because she was shaking so bad, and her lips were turning blue. I ended having to get a nebulizer for her. She had treatments every 4 hours for a week. I would definitely take her in momma. RSV is scary!
KLJ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first DD got it at 3 months old and I almost didn't take her to the ER - I also almost lost her. They rushed us to the children's hospital and it was touch and go for awhile. She ended up on nebulizer treatments for a week, and in the hospital for three days because her oxygen levels were so low.

I'm not saying this to scare you, but DH and I had it, and the next week she got it. When they are small it really affects them more. I would take her in just for piece of mind.

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I dont know what happened in the last 30 minutes but she is happy now! temp must have dropped greatly. she's playing on couch. nose is running really bad with sneezing but only a few coughs per hr. lungs sounds clear. not raspy. only when coughs sounds like a seal.

ah the shower!! yes I completely forgot about trying that. will do shortly. I am so tired I am not thinking perfectly.

if she gets any worse today i will indeed go in BUT i dont want to go in for them to make us sit forever and not be able to do anything for her.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

They CAN do something for her! There are several medicines that help with breathing, and often they make a huge difference. 2 of my 3 children have been hospitalized with RSV. I would go ASAP, even if she looks a bit better!
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote