Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 month old with RSV- advice and stories?

what do they do while hospitalized? o2, iv and just checking in on constantly? can parents stay?? we have a 4yr old w residual sickness, thus no sitter and i would not leave baby alone at hospital. is she required to sleep in the giant metal crib?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

My 2 year old was just hospitalized in February. He willingly slept in the crib, he was so sick.

Oxygen, nebulizer treatments, no IV (he kept taking his bottle), Q1 or 2 hour rounding (checks), continuous oxygen monitoring.

They gave me a cot to sleep on.

I'm a respiratory therapist with a nebulizer machine at home, albuterol inhalers, a stethescope, we had started prednisone the day before, and my skills, and yet I was nervous being at home. For good reason, his oxygen was dropping to 79-80% at night. We only needed about 36 hours in the hospital to get him out of the bad part (but like I said, we had started meds on Friday, was admitted on Saturday morning).

You can't always SEE what is happening, his oxygen was running consistently around 90-91% at home, when he's normally 96-97% (lower than most kids because of some other issues).
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

RSV is no fun! DFS was about that age when he had it. We were inpatient for 6 days so they could monitor his O2 sats. He never needed oxygen, but when he was sleeping (which was RARE), he got down to about 90. You wouldn't have known it by looking at him, though.

He later was diagnosed with asthma-like symptoms. I think the RSV definitely triggered it. He is now on Pulmicort twice a day and Albuterol as needed.

Definitely be seen! I would take him to a children's hospital ER. Their therapists will be better with kids, and there is more likely to be lots of toys and stuff. Ours has individual rooms, a Wii in every room, a library, Ronald McDonald House to feed the parents, and a bed for a parent in the room.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 05-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
michiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just dealt with this in February, but mine was 17 months at the time. Nursing full time (like a newborn really) but her brother and sister caught colds and somehow she must have caught something as well. (Likely because her immune system was down from having chicken pox not even a month prior). We dragged our feet taking her in thinking she was doing ok because she would be lethargic and then perfectly fine. We went first to our dr, and then he sent us to the pediatric ER. Her oxygen was at 90% and they were shocked he allowed us to drive her there instead of having an ambulance. Long story short, she ended up having RSV, a double ear infection and pneumonia. A two night hospital stay (I never left her side- we have family close by for the older 2 though) and she was back to completely normal within a day of leaving. I felt really bad dragging my feet about taking her in when I realized how bad it really was. She really was not acting nearly as bad as you would think for what she had. Better safe than sorry, especially that young I think. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS had it at 12 months and was kind of chesty so he was given a small dose of steroids. Other than that we did a humidifier in his room, meds as needed if temp got too high (only once or twice) and lots of nursing (AFTER clearing his nose, poor thing) but he got over it faster than doc had said he would so that was good
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #16
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post

He later was diagnosed with asthma-like symptoms. I think the RSV definitely triggered it. He is now on Pulmicort twice a day and Albuterol as needed.
Total thread spin-off but...

I wrote a paper on RSV to graduate. In some children RSV does trigger a post-viral asthma-like syndrome, most of the time it is gone by age 5. If it stays, it is usually true asthma.

It can also trigger latent true asthma, this is what happened with my daughter. She never wheezed a day in her life, until she was about 19 months old. She got RSV, and then continued wheezing for a long while. She got better around 6, and we thought maybe she "outgrew it". But around 9 asthma reared it's ugly head again, and she has it severely now.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #17
eek
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwindwoman View Post
Total thread spin-off but...

I wrote a paper on RSV to graduate. In some children RSV does trigger a post-viral asthma-like syndrome, most of the time it is gone by age 5. If it stays, it is usually true asthma.

It can also trigger latent true asthma, this is what happened with my daughter. She never wheezed a day in her life, until she was about 19 months old. She got RSV, and then continued wheezing for a long while. She got better around 6, and we thought maybe she "outgrew it". But around 9 asthma reared it's ugly head again, and she has it severely now.
My DD got the asthma symptoms afterwards too. She was 3 months old when she had RSV, and then had "asthma" for about a year after. I was told that it can take that long for the lungs to heal after a bad case of RSV, and she hasn't needed the nebulizer or had any kind of breathing problems since she was about 1 1/2. (She's 5 1/2 now) My DH has bad asthma, and I have allergies, so I'm really kind of surprised none of our kids have it.

As for the RSV, I totally agree with the people that say take her in NOW! My DD didn't seem like she was that sick...she seemed like she had a bad cold that had gotten worse overnight. She kept waking up crying and fussing, so we took her to the Dr in the morning. He sent me to the ER as soon as I got into his office, and told me to not even stop at home on my way. We walked into the ER and immediately had about 5 people grabbing her and working on her. Her oxegyn levels were down to about 84. She spent 3 days in the hospital.
Mommy to DD#1 12, DS#1 10, DS#2 7, and DD#2 4!
Please be my swagbucks friend! Please?
Make money just from taking surveys here and here!
Follow my $20 weekly grocery budget on my blog!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #18
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DS had a light case of rsv did nebulizer treatments and pedia pred my DD had pneumonia and was hospitalized for 3 days the nurses encouraged me to hold her as much as possible they had the regular hospital bed and a crib in the room for us i co-slept with her the 2 nights we were there they had a rocking chair brought in so i could comfortable nurse her she was on IV fluids and antibiotics and they monitored her temperature and o2 levels
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok update:
she slept last night and only required pain meds to lower fever at 6 am today. she is only sneezing now and bark coughs here and there.
she is eating well now, peeing, nursing etc.

we did NOT go into the dr and debated a long time yesterday to do so. I did the steam in shower but I really think her finally sleeping longer than an hr a time is what made a big difference. she is much happier today.
clearly still sick but its seems more cold like than anything. her lungs are still clear. I have a stethescope