Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Do they teach cursive where you live?

My sister sent me a message this morning asking me if they teach cursive in this school district. They do, in the third grade. Her ds is in the second grade in private school but will be going to public school next year. She found out that her dh's cousin's kid, who is in the 5th grade in that district, does not know how to write in cursive. So do they still teach cursive to kids where you live and in what grade? Thanks.

ETA: I've often wondered what the point of cursive is, I mean besides signing our name. Kids just get down printing then they have to spend a bunch of time and brain power learning to write all the letters another way. I don't use cursive as an adult, except to sign my name. I print everything else.

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 05-16-2011 at 01:31 PM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do they teach cursive where you live?

I don't know, I've been wondering this myself as I've heard that cursive is becoming obsolete due to the technological era we live in.

My daughter is in 8th grade and she learned it in 3rd grade. My next kid is in 2nd grade and she is teaching herself right now because she's interested. We'll see next year!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No idea if they teach it here. I had no idea that some places had stopped teaching it. Now I'm very interested to know if they teach it here. I don't know how I feel about it not being taught. It saddens me in a way. And yet I'm not exactly sure why. On the other hand, I agree that it's kind of a waste of time. They could be spending that time learning something else more useful, or even using that time to work the creative part of the mind .
Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They don't teach it here anymore at least not in my daughter's school district (I'm in Alberta Canada)

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Our school starts teaching at end of second grade. The PS starts in third grade (at least it did when my girls were in 3rd)
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

They start here in 3rd grade as well. However, it's still called "penmanship" if that gives you any clue as to how old-fashioned it is here. We also have some teachers that will not accept ANY work done in print, only in cursive, once you've learned it. And some that only expect reports to be in cursive. The art of letter writing may be a dying trend, but I always found cursive to be graceful, elegant, and even romantic in the right circumstances. I wish it was more embraced, to be honest.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
ralenth
Registered Users

Yes they do here, in third grade. I think it is important, and it is different parts of the brain used than for printing. My oldest had fine motor issues, and struggled with printing. Cursive he just got. It's like he's wired for it. If they weren't taught, I'd be pushing for it, because I feel it's important that my kids know how to write and read cursive.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure if they teach it in the public schools here but at my kiddos school they learn it in first grade and have to use it at all times from there on up.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As far as I know they quit teaching it here. It used to be taught in 4th grade. My son learned it as part of his homeschooling curriculum. It was part of the curriculum so I just let him learn it. Turns out he is better at it than printing, it is just easier for him. Writing is hard for him in general and I assume he will spend most of his life typing. These days no one does much writing by hand at all.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
momnb4
Registered Users

My Mood:

No it is not taught here at all and has not for some time as my 14year old was never taught at school but was taught by oldest son.I taught him.I think it is still important for them to know as I like to think they are times when writing is important ie Thank you notes etc.