Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do they teach cursive where you live?

here we teach them d'nelian handwriting which prepares them for cursive. Which is taught in 3rd grade.

I don't really see it as an important step, however the only way I can read DH handwriting is when he writes in cursive. In my observations in teaching Boys tend to have better handwriting when they write in cursive.

Advertisement

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, in 3rd grade. However I use Abeka for the girls and it starts crusive in k or 1st grade. I think learning crusive is important b/c I want them to be able to read it(many things are written in crusive-dd1 even has childrens books written in crusive), it's also neater in my opinion, and faster then writing in print.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We homeschool and my kids learn it when they're ready (so far that's been 2nd grade, but my youngest may start earlier). I know the private school that we do some of our homeschool stuff with starts cursive in 2nd grade. One of my son's friends, though, is in 2nd grade (same grade as my son) and he can't read cursive and he's in public school, so he either hasn't been taught it yet or they haven't covered enough yet for him to be able to read it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3rd grade here. I also have mixed feelings on it. Touch typing is a much more valuable skill IMO.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
averysmom
Registered Users

We are in North Texas and my son is in 2nd grade in public school. At his school they are learning cursive in 2nd grade. It's totally up to the school district. Next year we are pulling him out of ps to homeschool and I want him to know cursive.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They teach it in third grade here and teach the kids to print in D'Nealian (letters with hooks on the ends to prepare for cursive) in kindergarten. In school I used to go back and forth between taking notes in printing or cursive. Now, I mostly just print but don't do a lot of writing except for shopping lists and such.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't see the point in havering to learn both. It would be more awesome to teach calligraphy. My quitting style embraces print and cursive, and I do write a lot. It's good to know how to read it, but I don't think it needs to be such a big focus in school compared to all the things kids need to know.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
They don't teach it here anymore at least not in my daughter's school district (I'm in Alberta Canada)
I worked in a school district in Alberta last year. They taught it in Grade 3. We are in a Saskatchewan school district & they teach it in Grade 3.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

Yes, they do, here in Oregon. In 2nd and 3rd grade. I've read it's great for math and spatial planning skills.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
I don't see the point in havering to learn both. It would be more awesome to teach calligraphy. My quitting style embraces print and cursive, and I do write a lot. It's good to know how to read it, but I don't think it needs to be such a big focus in school compared to all the things kids need to know.

The only thing I really dislike about cursive here is that some teachers won't teach lefty's cursive, and actually make them switch writing hands in the 3rd grade!
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote