Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need Ideas to Entertain My 2 Yr Old on a Road Trip

Hey, mamas! We're heading to the beach in a couple of weeks, and I need some ideas of ways to keep my little guy busy in the back seat. He'll turn 2 the day before we leave! It's about an 8-10 hour drive, but we're splitting it into 2 days. I am planning to get him a few new books, and my MIL got him a marker set where the ink apparently only writes on special paper (although, when he's not drawing on himself, he likes to bite the tips off of markers, so we'll have to see how that goes...). I've got some CDs with music he likes, and I'm sure we'll do our fair share of E-I-E-I-Os, ABCs, and 5 Little Monkeys. Do you have any other suggestions? He's not really into stickers, I tried that a few weeks ago on a short trip we took. Thanks for your input

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Ideas to Entertain My 2 Yr Old on a Road Trip

Aqua Doodle...no cap...just a pen (screwed shut tight) filled with water(so if your lil one draws on the window, its just water)
(you can get a "travelling" one..or portable or whatever it's called. it folds up. we have one)

stickers are a good idea!(may also end up on the window...and hopefully none in the mouth!)but depends if your lil one likes stickers i guess

books are always good...

and light(so it wont break the window)easy to hold electronic toys your little one likes? our DS loves lights/music so toys like that keep him busy.

good luck! we are driving 20+ hrs this fall, DS will be almost 3yrs old, so we have some ideas of what to bring(the aqua doodle, let him play with "his" apps on the iphone, books, toys, stickers/stickerbook)
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, if your LO still naps then he won't need to be entertained quite as much as you may be anticipating. We just went on a little road trip last weekend. The drive was a little over 3 hours. So not as long as what you're doing, but I actually didn't bring anything other than books, a couple small toys, and some snacks. My DS took his nap on the road which took a nice chunk out of the trip for him. And for the time he was awake he was actually quite entertained by all the new sights to see out the window.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
ralenth
Registered Users

We do quite a few long drives. Magna doodles are great in the car, but what my 2 year old loved best was a purse (though any smallish bag would work) with little people and matchbox cars in it. She spent a long time taking them out and putting them away again. If he's got a favorite toy that works well in the car, take it out of circulation ahead of time, so that whenyou pull it out again, it's like new.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we bought a portable dvd player last year and went to the library and stocked up on sesame street dvd's.
But we timed our trip and stops with his bed time and nap times. We also tried to always stop at a park or chick-fil-a so he could run run run off that energy.
Last year we did two trip. One was 12 hours each way, and the other 8. He was 18 and 20 months. This summer we are doing a 9 hour each way trip and he is 26 months.
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the ideas!! This is a great start. The aqua/magna doodle sounds like a great idea! DS is not into DVDs (that's a good thing, right??) My MIL said she's giving us her old iPhone loaded up with kids apps - I'm sure that will keep him busy for at least a few minutes - haha! Good idea about planning stops at parks! We usually let him run at rest areas, but parks are so much better. I'll do a little research to see if we can find a couple along the way.