Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
extended maternity leave?

I'm posting this here because WOHM's may have experienced this issue. If it should be somewhere else I understand. Thanks

I'm a teacher and ds2 was born one week "too early" for me. Due to his birthday I should return to work for the final week of school (6 weeks). I was hoping to be able to stay out of work till September this time. My mw does not want me to return to work for that final week. She said that the end of year activities (ie packing up a classroom) will be too strenuous and I'm still at risk for bleeding. My school is in transition and we have to completely pack up our classroom to move to a new building for the fall. I'm ok with not returning to work, but I want to know if my short term disability will continue paying for the extra week (Aflac).

Anyone have experience with not being released exactly 6 or 8 weeks after delivery? I had a very typical pregnancy and delivery. I worked up until delivery. Contractions started Friday night after work - ds2 was born Saturday afternoon.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
I don't think AFLAC will continue to pay, unfortunately.

I know my short-term disability company (Cigna) was very straightforward. They'd pay for any medically necessary time off prior to delivery (I stopped working 3.5 weeks before DD was born due to the nature of my job) and would pay for 6 weeks following a vaginal delivery or 8 weeks following a c-section. No exceptions, regardless of how complicated the delivery itself was (I nearly died, and had to file a secondary claim to have my time/pay extended for THAT reason).

Now, my FMLA claim was closed exactly when DD was 6 wks and my secondary claim opened immediately thereafter. I was allowed a few extra weeks for my blood levels to get above the "danger" zone, then my time was over and I went back to work.

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: extended maternity leave?

You should talk to your district's HR department. In my district, even when my disability runs out, I can still stay out on leave and even get some pay. It's called differential pay and they pay my salary minus the sub salary...but this has to be used for sick leave. I would imagine your case would qualify if your midwife was willing to write you out for that additional week...it's worth calling the district to find out about.
Although I have been in your shoes so to speak. I had two of my babies at the end of two different school years and both times I went back for the last couple of weeks...I figured I would have to do the pack up and cleaning no matter what and I'd rather do it and get paid, then do it on my own time. So that might be something to consider...and I had c/s with both. If you need the full salary it really is worth considering.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: extended maternity leave?

I would talk with HR. And your MW could possibly write you a note. You may get the leave but not get paid. Which would mean that you most likely won't get paid during the summer either.

Maybe your school can give you some help in the packing? When I was pregnant with DD last year, I got a lot of help packing up my classroom. the 5th graders came down and helped me load up my Suburban with stuff.

IMO if it is only a week that you will be working vs not getting paid for an entire summer, I would work the week and ask for as much help packing as you possibly can.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote