Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
just want to cry

DH worked 1st shift. We both knew he would go back to 3rd eventually. Today he left for work at 6:30 am and got home at 9. He was told he would start tonight. Start time for 3rd is 10:30. Well at like 7:15 he got a text saying it's a 10 hour day which means be there by 8:30. He had to leave at 7:45 due to the bridge being worked on. Here I am stuck cleaning up supper, getting two kids ready for bed and sick 6 month old and me not feeling well either. I got the 4 year old to bed. The baby shows no signs of going to sleep anytime soon. I just want to clean my kitchen and he won't stop crying as soon as I put him down. Not to mention the fact that there is a ton of laundry. I knew he was going to 3rd soon but I thought maybe we could ease into the overtime but he is planning on working at least 10 hour days through the weekends now too. Basically I am a single mom from here on out. I know I shouldn't complain when some people don't have jobs right now but I just want to cry.

Sorry for the rant.

Advertisement

jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

Re: just want to cry

It gets easier- and you will be able to have dinner together too, which is nice. My DH is a cop and used to work 4pm-2am, which totally sucked. Bedtime is the worst but once you get through it you will have time for yourself. The most important thing, if you don't have it already, is a schedule and a strict bedtime. You are not a single mom, you will learn to adjust, although it is an adjustment. I hope you feel better!
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

Hugs, my husband has to do this 12 shifts a month. My Shift starts at 6:30pm, and I get off work at 7am. So he has to do dinner half the time, bedtime, and take the little one to daycare.

It is hard, he says he doesn't sleep as well without me in the house, the the kids miss me. But for a long time, I did it all, when he worked long shifts. We all just have to make do.

Hugs.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I know exactly how you feel. I work from 7:30am - 4:30pm and DH works from 3:30pm - 12:00am. It sucks having no help at night. Not to mention I see my DH for maybe if we are lucky 45mins a day during my lunch.
He should be going back to days at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to being a "family" all of the time and not just on the weekends.

(I know we are a family all the time but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it)
Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
MamandÉlise&Muriel
Registered Users
Formerly: Mamandelise
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaGirl82 View Post
It gets easier- and you will be able to have dinner together too, which is nice. My DH is a cop and used to work 4pm-2am, which totally sucked. Bedtime is the worst but once you get through it you will have time for yourself. The most important thing, if you don't have it already, is a schedule and a strict bedtime. You are not a single mom, you will learn to adjust, although it is an adjustment. I hope you feel better!
I'm in the same boat only the shift was sometimes 5PM-5AM, 6PM-6AM or days with overtime, sometimes causing shifts to last up to 20 hours. It is really hard to adjust but once you've done it, it'll be much better. Hang in there.
MamandÉlise&Muriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Awww, hugs mama! I know exactly how you feel. DH is in the army and is gone alot. He's away right now on training and will be deploying back to Afghanistan in the next few months. I am fine all day but the whole bedtime thing by myself makes me want to cry a lot of the time I also work at home doing my writing job at night, so I'm rushing the kids to get them to bed so I can go work. It sucks, that's for sure. Hang in there, and try to get help whenever you can. When DH deploys, I'm cutting out all eating out so I can use that money to get a housekeeper